TACHOMETER (rev-counter) PROBLEM ON F650GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spokie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Today, for some unexplainable reason, my bikes tachometer does not return to zero, after the bike gets switched off. According to the rev-counter 2000 rpm is the new threshold for zero. WTF?  :-\

How does this happen and get sorted out?

Adding 5 hours later:

The weirdness gets weirder!

I went to check for loose wires or anything sinister - couldn't find such. None the less, I noticed the rev-counter's arm moved down to the 1000rpm mark (from where it was, as seen in photo beneath). So, I started her up, the normal way, and the revs climbed, as it should, to 2000rpm and then dropping to 1500rpm however, in this case it went to 3000 rpm and dropped 2500rpm this is due to the already 1000rmp start for the zero mark (threshold). Moreover, it does not sound like 3000rpm anyway so I believe it is just the tachometer indicating that. Anyway, I found that the revs were quite inconsistent when I gave it just a little bit of throttle trying to keep it constant at 4000rpm (which is actually 3000rpm, due to above mentioned crap) iit was sort of surging. After switching the bike off I heard ticking noises, similar to that of a clock, coming from the cluster and with each tick the tacho-arm moved a small step anti-clockwise till it reached the original (correct) zero position where as the ticking noise seized as well.

Guess I shouldn't have named her spokie after all and also reading this, one might probably think I'm totally nutz...

Additional

She is a 2005 model Dakar with fairly low mileage (33000 km) I have recently replaced the old battery with a brand new one, after the old battery had died with no prior warning, actually it abruptly seized to function and is still as dead as can be. I had to jump-start her a few times during which I know I never connected the terminals the wrong way around! ::) Some more electrical problems occurred such as engine cut-out followed by that resetting buzz noise when one connects the battery terminals for the first time, however this happened with the old battery only shortly prior to its termination (maybe that was the warning).
I definitely suspect loose naughty wires somewhere, fokon elektronika!

Furthermore, I never experienced weird stuff like this, before the latest battery kaaak and she had never complained about memory loss either, touch wood :D. Apart from the tachometer all of the remaining dials and instruments work properly.

18 September

Tachometer died yesterday - after doing about 15km it stoped to register anything. I wiggled the wires, which enter into the cluster, a bit and it worked again... ::) A few km's later it started doing the same as a few days earlier - displaying way to high rpm's and does not return to zero when the engine is not running. I switched her on (whithout starting) a few times, to have the tacho-needle do its anticlock wise ticking back to zero again... The tacho functioned normal for the rest of the day and today as well... so far.

From 18 September untill it doesn't matter
Ag ja, her tacho is 20% of the time moody and the rest of the time functioning properly. Does not help to switch the bike on and off once, for it does obviously not reset like the most other functions on the bike. The amount of times you need to switch the bike on (without starting it) depends how far the needle has moved away from  the zero position. every time the bike is switched off, as said, the tacho needle "ticks" about 25° back to the origin before it stops. I seized to care about these moody tacho-tantrims! I guess I'll have to learn, the ever so important quality of being a good listener and how to feel engine revs,vibrations and noise etc.
Oh it is also not weather related...
I borrowed an old (2002) cluster from someone else (who couldn't say if it was working before or not) and tested it. The tachometer on this cluster turned out to be even worse than that of mine... Now, where does this problem prevail in... still the cluster or somewhere else?

Attachments

• IMG_0997.jpg
    IMG_0997.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 103