Taste of Dakar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fudgypup

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
This is the third time I've been to this event sponsored by AltRider.  They are a US company located in Seattle, Washington.  They make a lot of protective gear for adventure bikes.  They do a few of these rides around the country every year.

Each year it is near Death Valley and this time if was just across the Nevada state border in Pahrump at the lovely Wine Ridge RV resort.  They actually make great wine there (award winning) and have a five star restaurant.  I ate there Thursday night and it was fantastic.  Hot showers, jacuzzi, wi fi, a washing station to clean the mud off the bike, etc...

The last two years the tracks and the location were not so good, but it's always nice to get to meet others and get the chance to win a few prizes.  The food is usually good and all the alcohol is FREE  :dousing:

My buddy Rich (KTM 690) and I (GSA) trailered out there on Thursday and spent Friday doing the intermediate route from back to front.  Amazing scenery and really interesting navigation challenges.  You just follow the gps tracks and you have to figure out a few challenges at about three different places.  One takes you through some scrub brush along a dry lake bed, another over an abandoned road and another across a newly plowed field (some kind of new strip mining technique) where the road picks back up with a 4' step.  Coming the other way would be interesting if you were going too fast.  Lots of sand, dunes, washes and even a flash flood with a treacherous water crossing to navigate.

TOD14004_zps5af9bcb5.jpg

TOD14005_zpseb764226.jpg

TOD14008_zps9e78ce45.jpg

TOD14010_zpsfdb79b91.jpg

We got to play in the dunes after a rain, which made the conditions really nice.  Got some video but no pictures on this first day of the dunes.

On to lunch at the Pioneer Saloon in Goodsprings, NV.  Prostitution is legal in Nevada and we were treated to a lovely young lady flashing us her "charms" just to let us know she was available.  I had a beer and a burger and no more ;)

https://www.pioneersaloon.info/

TOD14023_zps823b29cf.jpg

The nice young bartender (not that kind of girl) wanted to sit on the bike.  How could I refuse?

TOD14025_zps5fb5f148.jpg

Started to rain harder when we left

TOD14026_zps397d82ab.jpg

We then ran into a flash flood on the way back, along with a lot of slippery mud conditions.

TOD14027_zps2e560540.jpg

TOD14028_zps5bb61034.jpg

TOD14029_zps6995824d.jpg

Rich waded across to check the depth and it was only knee deep.

TOD14033_zpse62e5deb.jpg

I have a video of the water here  https://www.facebook.com/events/187196498138577/