Tenere 660 demo ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hardy

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Tenere Demo

The family business got 3 Tenere’s 660 to offer as demo rides for the Zululand ppl. E-mails were sent out and rides set up. Sunday morning was the turn of some Wild Dogs to
Take them out for a little spin in the surrounding country side. The route was about 130 km long and consisted of some good gravel roads, tracks, sand, river crossings, up and down and through the valleys just outside Empangeni (home ground). We meet at the Mfuli Game Park where the ride would be starting from and then headed out.

The 3 awaiting machines
demoride009.jpg

demoride012.jpg

demoride016.jpg

Time to take the bull by the horns  :D

demoride021.jpg

quite a good ass aswell

demoride036.jpg

The 3 dawgs were Winston, flippie and Myself.
Winston get familier with hie ride
demoride039.jpg

My nephew was on an YZ 250 which he and I swopped from time to time. This is not a RR as such but I felt this is the best way I could give you my impressions of this bike.

First let me say that I think this is the best looking bike in its class. I really like the lines and flow of the tank and how it fits in with the rest if the bike. The tank holds 22 L which I believe should give about 400 km’s of riding. We only did 130 kms and the fuel gauge had only gone down 1 bar. (6 bars = full). And I just love the front end of this adventure bike, which worked very well in deflecting the wind of me. The instrument panel is easy to read and smart to look at.

First stop above the river, perfect country side to demo a bike like this
demoride044.jpg

Riding this 660 is an absolute blast. Even thou it might be consider heavy for a 660, but once on the move I was very very impressed at how light the bike felt. Also I found the bike to be very well balanced. Even with a full fuel tank the bike never felt top heavy. Wow the suspension…..great. That is all I can say. The front wheel was very solid and never once did I feel like it was following its own tracks the front felt much planted and sure footed. The front suspension soaked up every thing at was thrown at it and never once bottomed out. In sand the bike tracked very well and was not prone to wondering all over the place.

A little water crossing..Winston taking it easy
demoride046.jpg

demoride049.jpg

flippie taking the crossing..

demoride058.jpg

demoride067.jpg

demoride068.jpg

Me on the YZ 250...too quick for the camera  ::)

demoride082.jpg

Smoke break after the water crossing

demoride084.jpg

The rear suspension did its job well, very well actually. But I felt the standard setting that it comes out with could have a little more compression. Once or twice I felt the back kick up but nothing to upset the bike or cause you any discomfort. Maybe Yamaha set the bike up with the weight of panniers and top box in mind. I am sure this extra weight on the back would settle the suspension very well when touring.

Riding heaven on a wonderful little bike
demoride101.jpg

demoride104.jpg

demoride111.jpg

and the dealer ...... :biggrin:

demoride117.jpg

The power delivery from the motor is very linier and smooth. No real excitement but when I glanced down at the speedo I was surprised at just how fast I was travelling.  Winston made a comment about how if you ride the bike smoothly, it is faster than if you attacked every corner and tried to power your way through and out. I felt the motor and suspension complimented one another very well and made for some high sped cornering.
Damn this bike is smooth and well sorted.

Just another good place to stop and reflect.....
demoride120.jpg

So Flippie what are your thoughts
demoride125.jpg

and more discussions

demoride129.jpg

another little crossing and some nice river sand....... :ricky:

demoride132.jpg

demoride137.jpg

demoride151.jpg

demoride158.jpg

this bike would love the sand with some better tyres.

demoride163.jpg

I saw this rocky track up the hill and thought it would be fun to ride....one of my better thoughts  :mwink:

demoride165.jpg

the power of the 660 was more than enough to conquer this climb but if you are not used to FI bikes the throttle responsiveness needed getting used too.

demoride167.jpg

I felt I could ride all day I was enjoying the bike so much. All and all I think this is one very very stable bike to ride that never felt out of shape or out of its depth. We took it and rode it hard, much harder than you would when out touring and seeing far out places.
The bike just soaked it all up and was game for more.

demoride173.jpg

demoride177.jpg

demoride207.jpg

demoride227.jpg

But not all is fantastic…..
For one am not to keen on the seat. To wide for my liking and the step does limit your seated position. Say that I felt the position keep the weight on the front wheel where you want it most. I would just prefer a flat seat….with a little more cushioning.

The foot pegs could be a little longer and wider, this would be easy to fix with some after market pegs.

And that is all I can really complain about.

For me, this is one little bike that I would not mind in my garage. Touring through Africa or around the world would be a right where this machine will shine. All and All I think Yamaha has done some serious home work and produced an excellent all round DS bike. I am very impressed. Rock solid stable and very predictable.

If I was asked to describe this bike with one word……Confidence.
Damn I enjoyed riding her.

demoride241.jpg

demoride246.jpg

demoride261.jpg

Later in the day I was forced on another demo ride.... >:D  :ricky:

Only stopped for these pics

demoride263.jpg

demoride264.jpg