Thangami Hot Springs (Natal) Sat. 25/5/13 return Sun 26/5/13

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianhogg

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
(Edit at 21/5/13) Thangami  Hot Springs (Natal) Sat. 25/5/13 return Sun 26/5/13
Since I’ve been riding bikes again I seem to have been to a lot of hot springs. Shu Shu, Lilani and Natal Spa have been excellent places for a hot soak after a long ride. The one I haven’t been to is Thangami hot springs between Ulundi and Vryheid.  See
https://www.leeulekker.com/articles/view/south-africa/kwazulu-natal/vryheid/resorts/thangami_mineral_spa_and_game_reserve
The place has a truly South African feel about it in that the owner Gert Uys was shot in front of his girlfriend on an adjacent farm in June of last year and the place is now being run by his son. They have a variety of accommodation to suite most pockets and a restaurant and bar.  The trip will be fully pillion and Gunda Gunda compliant and will be about 165 km tar, 80 dirt, 250km total.

THE PLAN Debbie & I plan to be at the Ballito Lifestyle Wimpy  (S29.52597 E31.20113) at 8am Saturday morning to have breakfast and then leave around 8.45am. We will toddle up the N2 to the R66 and then inland to Thangami. I think we should stop at Melmoth for petrol so we’re not looking for it on Sunday. On Sunday we could ride through to Dundee and back on the R33 Tugela ferry road.

THE PLACE Thangami Hot Springs Reserve. I haven’t been there but it appears OK. The manager is called Colette 083 256 6036 [email protected]. She is holding a couple of chalets for me but you could go from the chalet with a Jacuzzi to camping on the grass. You can self cater but there is a restaurant & bar.

PLANNING   Any changes to time or date will be edited in this box. All welcome.
Attached:  .kml file for google Earth .gdb  GPS map, .jpg overview Ian Hogg edit 21/4/13

Attachments

• 20130417BallitoThangami.JPG
    20130417BallitoThangami.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 185
  • 20130417ProposedThangamiHotSpringsRev2.kml
    28.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20130501ProposedThangamiHotSpringsRev2.gdb
    45.9 KB · Views: 3