Thanks, and also a bit if a rant...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedRo

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F700GS
First the thanks  :thumleft:

Yesterday on the way back from our December tour, after 20 trouble free days I managed a nice big smiley in my front rim on the R356 from Sutherland to Ceres.
Not something you want to see on a tubeless rim, for some silly reason it prevents the bead from sealing well.

Anyway, both bikes being tubeless we have everything to repair these, but not a tube for a situation like this (lesson learnt).

We were stuck just where tar starts after coming off the R355/R356.

Thanks to Pistonpete for being prepared and offering to drive all the way out on a Saturday afternoon  :thumleft: fortunately this was not required, but thanks again Pete!

Then thanks to Dusty Rusty and Nismark for phoning around finding a tube in Ceres, which Kobus could then go fetch and fit, allowing us to get home safely  :thumleft:
And thanks to Freddie in Ceres for the tube, much appreciated  :thumleft:

Now the rant...

On the R356 at the Karoo Bossieskerm (sadly now closed) was a couple in a VW Caddy with a holed sump, been stuck there since the previous day.
We stopped, and Kobus took the guy back towards Sutherland until we could find someone to tow them to Sutherland.
We also then waited with them until we knew they were sorted and on their way.

This did not cost us anything but a bit of our time, quite happy to do that.

So what does this have to do with the rant?

Well, later when we were stuck, Kobus having to leave us girls (my daughter and I) with my bike while he went to collect the tube, two groups of adventure bikers passed us, not even a glance never mind checking if the two girls next to the road need any assistance or are OK - this would also not have cost them anything...
Probably not a big issue, but still a bit sad.

Two bakkies with coloured people stopped and offered help during the same time, to them, thanks  :thumleft:

So to the riders who passed us, we hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip, and if you need assistance next to the road someone stops to assist.