The 2nd Biggest Cape Wilddog Ride Yet (Or so I'm Told)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBig

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 955 Tiger
Unfortunately I didn?t take lot of pics but it seems everyone is slightly hesitant to report on yesterday ? so I?ll this give it a kick start.
Feel free to add any comment or pictures as you see fit.
(I know MarkHardy took loads of pics and also have some pretty compromising video!)
Another thing - as this is actually a trip the_wes put together I will save the gory bits for him to share.

It was supposed to be a small group of 4-5 bikes (which) by Friday grew to 10 and with the weather forecast looking good it was deemed to be a nice day.

From around 7:35 he first bike roaring into the meeting area and was swiftly followed by another.
And another. And yet some more.
Just after eight we counted 21 bike and riders (+ 1 pillion) and set off over Helshoogte Pass in the direction of Franschhoek.
CIMG2341.jpg

The sun was about to creep over the mountain and it was still mighty cold.
Everyone sort of behaved themselves ? until we hit Franschhoek Pass and some riders streaked ahead for some high-speed twisties.
I guess not everyone rides to just enjoy the scenery. A lot of the enjoyment is the thrill of the ride which is just fine.

At this point I might add that this is my first Wild Dog ride and I generally prefer not to run with a pack. It does hoever add some new dimensions to ride with others ? some I like, some I don?t.

IMO it could also be rather hazardous for less experienced riders as they tend to try and keep up with the big boys and sometimes end up riding beyond their ability.
This is true for both tar and dirt riding.
Even though we all preach that it?s important to ride within your limits and set your own pace, we also know that it?s not that simple.

We regrouped at Theewaterkloof Dam and from there set off towards Botriver via the Van Der Stell Pass.
CIMG2346.jpg

CIMG2344.jpg

I was right at the back and was lagging behind the tailenders with a good 500m (ducking the dust).
As I came up to the right-hander that led towards Van Der Stel I spotted about 4 bikes that missed the turnoff and was heading straight on.
I hooted and flashed my lights ? attempting to draw some attention.
I watched them disappear over the first hill and stood there waiting for a minute ? hoping to see someone turning back. Racing after them I was just in time to see the last dust settling over the 2nd hillside ? they were gone.
I figured they would hit the tar in about 5 min ? realize their mistake and turn back. (Little did I know).
So I turned around and set off trying to catch the bulk of the group heading towards Botriver.
Great was my surprise when I only found 7 other bikes in Botriver.
We had lost more than half our group!
We decided to proceed to Botriver Hotel and have a coffee (or whatever) ? hoping that someone would call us.
CIMG2349.jpg

This part of the story belongs to the_wes but I'll leave you with this image:
CIMG2353.jpg

After an hour or so we finally had everyone together again.
Because of the delay some riders decided to follow a different route from here on and the 13 remaining started off towards Houwhoek on the old Pass.
If you ever go through that area make sure you do that stretch! Only 5 k?s or so but it?s absolutely worth it!
It wasn?t a really bad road (little 2 spoortjie at best) but a sandy section caught Hermanator out and he neatly planted the Strom in a bush right in front of me.
Nothing serious.
And no - I don't have a pic of it.

More to follow.