The Bash Trip via Lesotho

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shark_za

Wow, the bash was a great success in my books, we got to ride an awesome route to mingle with fellow wild dogs and then do the same back home.
My trip was a little more than a commute, it had it moments as SGB so often uses when describing Lesotho.
If you draw a straight line through from JHB to Hogsback you see that Lesotho is in the way, so why not ride through it.
I wanted to vote for Lesotho but was vetoed by some saying that if passports were required nobody would come.
Then Transkei was also voted out. But Hogsback turned out to be excellent as a venue, the ride there and back is what did it for me, allowed me to focus on important things like drinking at the venue.

Day 1
We met at Harrismith and started our adventure into Lesotho. The group was Uncle, Crazyporra and myself, our plan for the first day was to get too Ramabanta via Monantsa Pass and then miss the main roads to go past Maseru.

We started with a nice ride up to the border post.
DSC04055.jpg

This is what lay in store for us on the other side.
DSC04058.jpg

After the formalities were done, I rode in front followed by Uncle and Porra.
I gave it some stick on the first few turns, enjoying being back in Lesotho. I then stopped at the bottom of the road, getting ready with the camera to snap my fellow riders.
But, nothing.  I turned around and rode back up.  We were about 1km into Lesotho at this point. Not so sure its even technically Lesotho as the river at the bottom of this road is probably the real border.

I saw Porras bike on the side and thought they stopped to talk to the guys surveying the road.
But no, to the left I could see Uncle and Porra helped by these survey guys lifting the KLR. Ooops.
They seemed fine so a photo was in order.
DSC04059.jpg

Turns out Uncle didnt turn. So glad you are ok man.
DSC04062.jpg

Bike smashed, we made a plan , a few phone calls and Uncle was back in RSA getting home. Big thanks to those survey guys, awesome going out of your way like that.

Me and Porra then carried on, taking is real easy, we had just seen how quickly it can jump up and bite you.
The actual border is the river at the bottom of this valley. I think.
DSC04065.jpg

The reason for the confusion, there is no sign or trace of a Lesotho border post.

From here we rode along the Caledon river along a twisty and tight road for the next 60km.
Quite a few river crossings along this bit, its really a lovely area.

DSC04072.jpg

DSC04071.jpg

DSC04069.jpg

This comes out close to Butha Butha  where we hit the tar to Leribe.
After Leribe we turned left and made our way to Teyateyaneng but turned inland again before getting there.
This road was a mix of dirt and tar, some awesome mountain passes going through the smaller little villages.
Eventually we came out near Roma, rode 3km down and turned right into the lowlands area.
This was great dirt, we could ride a bit faster and got to the start of the mountains.

Looking back towards Maseru.
DSC04081.jpg

Going up into the mountains.
DSC04073.jpg

DSC04075.jpg

DSC04077.jpg

Just before decending into Ramabanta we stopped to make some calls, found out that Uncle was drinking a beer and safely on his way home.
DSC04082.jpg

We then arrived at the Trading Post, organized backpackers accommodation for the night, showered and had a beer.

At dinner we were greeted by "Sax for Lovers" for background music, and a little intimate candlelit dinner. They made food for 3 and only 2 pitched so we got large helpings ;0
Desert was apparently local peaches from the area too, an extra special touch.
The food was excellent and we went outside afterwards to have a few captains with coke before hitting the sack.
Dinner_Ramabanta.jpg