The big guy, a small bike, good company and the road less travelled to George...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisbein

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
So the goal was set: Go and show the TTR to Trailrider, Sweeper and Wingman in George. Meet Bliknêrs halfway for a little bit of shared road and then hook up with Trailrider for the final stretch.

Easy.

I must say that I was a little apprehensive about all of this, as the TTR's seat hasn't played nicely with my substantial subassembly prior to the trip. Local explorations have showed me that (at the time) I didn't like that seat for more than 3/4 of an hour at a time.

But I did say that I was going to do it, so I packed and got ready.
I left a little later than what I wanted (doesn't that always happen), so I was fueled up and on the road at 10:45 the Saturday morning.

George here I come.

Over du Toits or through the tunnel ?
Rain in buckets and very strong wind close to Paarl made my decision easy.

I entered the tunnel soaking wet, heated up inside (it was getting uncomfortably hot) just to feel like I'm riding into a fridge on the other side.
Also rain by the truckload and a strong wind, but the wind was hitting me from my left. That would mean that I would turn away from it and have it pumping in the same direction I was going towards Robertson.
Nice.

Uneventful trip (apart from the dodging of other bikes and Harleys going to the rally in Worcester).
Took the more interesting road from Robertson to Bonnievale. As I arrived at a service station Bliknêrs and his DR650 rolls in from the other side.

That bike is really really awesome. I can definitely see that as the next logical upgrade path from the TTR as soon as Vicky is comfortable with the whole bike riding thing.

Bliknêrs leads the way and we were soon riding through very beautiful scenery.
We are truly blessed to have places like the Overberg, the Boland and the Southern Cape so close.

I really enjoyed riding with Bliknêrs. It was evident from the start that his riding style fits mine to a T.
We both enjoy not only the riding, but also a photo stop or three and stopping to watch the odd 'skillie' cross the road - paw-by-paw style...
I have a feeling I'm still going to be seeing a lot of the Swellendam area along with a certain blue DR650 with a CCK plate on the back ... :D ;D

Cellphone photos (the next two) while riding:
blikners.jpg

The bridge that Bliknêrs posted under 'Traveling salesman':
BBrug.jpg

Then we decided to refuel at Buffeljags and see if we can do the road past Gysmans to Riversdale.

This be at Buffeljags:
Weird if you look at the pictures - the one is a 250 and the other a 650.
For someone who don't know they would look in the same ballpark.
Buffeljags2.jpg

Buffeljags1.jpg

Some inride photos on the other side of Suurbraak:

suurbraak.jpg

suurbraak2.jpg

Turning down towards Heidelberg:
heidelberg1.jpg

On the way there we saw a sign saying - 'Road closed' with another sign pointing you to a detour.

Naturally we just went on as if nothing was wrong.

Got to where the bridge was being worked on. The road was really totally closed - gate and all.
I was still gearing down when I saw Bliknêrs shooting off to the left onto some little farmroad.
Awesome !

So I followed in hot pursuit and all of a sudden the little TTR just came to its own.
That little bike's suspension was designed to go fast where things get a little rougher. Potholes, ditches, whatever - it just soaked it all up and asked for more.
I definitely need to explore the 'playful' side of this bike some more.

All too soon we got to the other side of the bridge, but still on the inside of the gate that closes it off from public access.
Not too worry - Bliknêrs have been there, done that.
So he leads the way over a little piece of farmland where a couple of cows was lazily trying to decide if these weird looking cows that made strange noises and had feet that goes around and round instead of backwards and forwards was posing enough of a threat to contemplate evasive action.
Lucky just one was getting uneasy and moved off.

The gate onto the public road is just on the other side of the little hill:
heidelberg2-1.jpg

heidelberg3.jpg

Halfway there I noticed a clanging noise in front and discovered that one of the headlight screws rattled out.
Oh yes - this bike may be small, but it is still a thumper...
heidelberg4.jpg

So we headed off to Heidelberg to try and find something to make a plan with.
Heidelberg shuts down after 14:00 on a Saturday.
Just the garages next to the N2 operates. Everything else is dead quiet.
Weird...
We discovered that the screws that hold the side stand switch in place were the same size, so (thanks to Bliknêrs' leatherman) I took one out of there and transplanted it to the headlight. Fixed.

By now we were running out of time to do Gysmans, while hearing from Trailrider in the meantime that he also fell behind schedule. So a new plan was devised. We would meet him at Albertinia. So Bliknêrs and me set off on the N2 to Riversdale - there we went out the back and onto the back (gravel) roads that goes towards Herbertsdale and then split off again towards Albertinia.
Very awesome road. I was also pleased that I could show a piece of road to Bliknêrs that he haven't seen or ridden on before.

All too soon we were in Albertinia where Trailrider was enjoying his beer.
So introductions was made, some sheet were talked and then we had to set off. Bliknêrs also needed to get back to Swellendam.

Photo by Trailrider:
PB030038.jpg

My ride with Trailrider is already covered here:
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=11668.0

So let me just add a photo or two.

The road from Gouritz towards Vleesbaai:
Gourits.jpg

Somewhere towards Herbertsdale before we turned back towards George:
toGeorge.jpg

Same area:
toGeorge2.jpg

Don't we live in a beautiful country ?

It got late (and dark) after this, but lucky Mrs Trailrider had hot coffee and a tasty supper waiting for us when we rolled into the Trailrider's lair at about 20:00.

The night ride was awesome.
Here's just one pic - not a good picture, but I like it.
Carent wait to get a SLR so I can start seriously playing/experimenting.
This is Wingman being partially illuminated by TR's CTX
nightride.jpg

Talking about headlights - the TTR's front light is really really very good.
If you look at the other bikes's front lights, it is like a torch lighting up a spot where the front is pointed at at the time.
With the TTR it looks like a car's lights in front of you. It also spreads so widely and evenly that you cannot see by the lighted up bit ahead of you that you are turning the front.
I can turn the bars through about 30 degrees while standing while seeing no difference in the illumination 'pattern' ahead of me. Awesome.

Wingman and Sweeper came with for coffee at TR's house (we returned at 23:30).
It was very nice to share the same road again with these two as well - its been too long.
Lots of laughs and talking some more sheet 'till Wingman and Sweeper left for home.

The rest of the evening was spent (as usual) talking about bikes, talking general sheet, getting into discussions about very specific sheet, making jokes, trying to find the answer to 'life the universe and everything' and inevitably pulling a map closer at some point to start dreaming up new destinations and journeys...

The next morning started to early and naturally we go out a little later than expected.

TR and his son joined me over Montague pass. TR says that he will never get tired of Montague pass - even after the countless of times he's gone over it. Having done it myself now about 5 or 6 times, I can see what he means.
Some of the most awesome and scenic 12 kilometers you will ever ride.

After they left me to continue down the Zebra road, I kinda got lost on the spaghetti roads that cover the whole area. I still had fuel, so I wasn't really lost :D ;D
I would get to a fork, my gut would tell me that I must go west. Then 3 k's down the road ends in a farm...

So I ended up at 10:00 in Oudshoorn.
:mad:

From there I had a very uneventful trip home on the R62 (I didn't have time after that to do the 'scenic' thing).
The bike was surprisingly able. Only when the wind started 'klapping' me from Barrydale onwards did it start to struggle a bit. But I slowed down to 100km/h and kept it in 5th instead of 6th. Not too high revs and not struggling too much.

Huisrivier pass was a blast - this little bike surprised me with the speed and handling that it was able to achieve up and down the pass.

I stopped often to rest the backside and pulled in to my house at about 15:15. 1160km in two days and not too much worse for wear...

Average fuel consumption while being pushed a little - 22 with the wind from the front and 25km/l otherwise. Not too bad at all with the 16 liter tank - 325 km before reserve hits and then you still have 75 km to make a plan. :thumbsup:

Some thoughts on the TTR-250 after having tested it now in more than one environment/situation:

Someone has described the KLR650 using the same term. It is an extremely honest bike.
It doesn't try and be what its not.
It is precisely what it was designed to be: A lightweight small tourer with very capable gravel and offroad abilities with a little bit of 'playful fun factor' thrown in for good measure.

Is it a long distance fast tar tourer ? No.
I did manage to keep it at 120 easily on the way to Bonnievale though.
The bike is more powerful and faster than what you would expect a 250 to be.

This will be the last time that I'm doing a trip like this with it.
If I do the distance again on this bike, it will be with people like TR and Watty with matched bikes and I will not be on a schedule. There must also be a very good reason not to take the GS.
This bike doesn't like being pushed on a tight schedule. It is very pleasing when you are at your own leisure though. Again - I am not making out like its not good or able, but I have a better tool for the touring job.

It will go to George again, but on the back of a trailer for a weekend of riding/playing.

Having said all of that - If someone would come to me and say I can have an all expenses paid trip to Cairo and back, but its the TTR or nothing, my response would be 'Bring it on!'.

I am Varkkneukel and I have now done George and back on a 250 in two days and survived to tell the tale.

Btw - This is also officially the ride report where I've used the key combination 'Alt-136' the most times...