the buck stops here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Red

Pack Dog
Reaction score
On Friday I left for the Buff much later than I had planned and ended up riding in the dark somthing that I dont mind doing . We were three bikes all GS my 1100 a 1150 ADV and a 1200 . We stopped in Robertson at about 18:30 and were back on the road again at 19:05 . At Ashton we turned of to Swelendam and the N2 . the three of us lost each other and I thought the other two were ahead of me but they had gone through town . I was now chasing guys beheind me , they thought I was behind them . I stopped again in Riversdale had some coffee and tried to phone them but they were riding . So off I went again after Heidelburg the road opens up and I was traverling at about 120-130 , about 50km from Mosselbaai I saw a truck standing in a layby on the oposite side of the road and one coming towards me so I moved over to the left of my lane when the truck had passed I was moving back to the center of the lane when I saw a Steen bokkie crossing from the oposite lane at speed he had his head down and was moving . All this happend in a split second it is amazing how fast your brain works I saw what type of buck it was and that we were going to collied I decieded not to brake but moved my weight back on the seat gave a hand full an pulled back on the bars . A double bang a big wobble and shit all over the place . I slowed to a stop thiking how did we stay on . My girl friend on the back had not seen what happend I had to explain that we had hit a buck . I could not see any damage but I could feel that somthing was wrong . The bokkie had hit the front wheel on the axil with such force that there is hair stuck between the tyre and rim . To cut a long story short we rode to the rally with buck shit guts and blood all over us on a bike that feelt like the head bearings were to tight . The next day in day light I could see that the A arm on the front suspention where the ball joint is bolted on was bent alowing the wheel to move back about 50 mm almost pulling the ball out ot the A arm . We were very very lucky to stay on , a guy on Saturday night was not so lucky he left to go home after prise giving and hit a buck and died . Someone was looking after us . I will post photos tomorow . Another twist  one my mates that I was chasing that were beheind me hit the buck 5 min later lying in the road he thought it was a persone, so would not go back to look he sent the other fellow to check .