THE GREAT BAVIAANS CHALLANGE!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JERINOMO

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Since our second Baviaans side entry, ( https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=60480.0 ) it’s being playing in my mind for a long time to plan another one, so here it is.

This is going to be a weekend ride starting  Friday afternoon 26 October 2012, ending the Sunday afternoon. I’ve organized two 4x4 vehicles that will accompany you on route to carry all baggage because of the terrain difficulty. So no worry about what you’re taking with, it’s going to be taken care off. All you have to concentrate on is to stay upright and alive. Thanks again for Bennett that is going to help me with the logistics. Big thumbs up for you Buddy.

I can only accommodate a limited amount of riders, so the first 20 guys and girls will go. As I did last time, there will be a reserve list if somebody cancels. Please don't put up your name if you're not serious on going on this trip. The last time there were late cancellations and only 13 out of 20 went on the trip.

The route is 542km long and consists of  three of the Eastern Cape’s  famous routes, the Groot Rivier Poort, Baviaans and the Rus and Vrede route.  All bikes welcome, just bear in mind that it is a bit technical, but saying that, all four GSA’s that went with last time went through without incident. (Ohhh accept Pierre’s pod that got hooked up on a rock, but nothing Pratley steel could not fix. :biggrin:) I don’t want to sound like a drip, but this is really not for the novice rider, but I was proofed wrong before.

Friday ride: Distance 81.2km (Green Route)

The Friday ride will be from Port Elizabeth to the farm Klein Rivier out on the Cockscomb road  where we will camp the Friday night. The route is 42km Tar, 32km Gravel Highway and about 7km tweespoor.

There are camp facilities, showers, toilets and a small swimming pool. I will find out from the owner if we can utilize the 4x4 routes on the farm for the “brawe brakke” that wants to play.

https://www.kleinrivier.co.za/pages.php?pid=10

Saturday ride: Distance 259km (Blue Route)

Saturday is going to be a long day, but bear in mind you’re traveling light. The initial thought was to travel to the Royal Hotel in Steytlervillefor a Brekkie  but it would add 60km to the already long ride. The plan is to get up early Saturday morning, pack up and ride to the bottom of the Groot Rivier Poort  where we will stop and make us a Breakfast on the banks of the river. Gas braaiers will be available (This is open for discussion since it’s a 111km ride without Breakfast).  After Breakfast it will be the grueling climb out of GRP toward Padlangs resataurant (36km from GRP) where we can stop for a quick coffee or a cold one for the more thirsty dogs.  The last shift is through the Baviaans (105km) where we will overnight at the Doornkloof campsite (Venue of the 2012 EC bash ).

Sunday ride: Distance 200km (Red Route)

Sunday morning will be the Rus and Vrede route. It’s quite tough but if you survived the GRP, the R&V will not surprise you. We’ll rise early, have a Breakfast at Doornkloof and then tackle the R&V route. It’s only 35km till you hit the gate at Baviaans lodge. From there we will do the beautiful and scenic road toward Kareedouw(43km) We can complete the weekend at The Smelly Duchman for lunch before we set off on the last leg back home. (Toward PE will be 125km Tar) For the really brave hearts, there’s a coastal gravel road alternative.

Rules and Regulations:

There’s going to be no catering. You bring along whatever you want to eat or drink.

I will confirm what the camping fees will be for  Klein Rivier and Doornkloof and the cost to ride the R&V route..

WRT cell phone reception, there are cell phone reception on top of some of the high hills but don’t count on any!!!

My function and responsibilities are as follows:

I will organize the whole ride. I will book accommodation for all you dogs.  Myself and Bennett takes care of all the kit and will hand it over to you at Klein Rivier and Bush Camp in Doorn Kloof. Me and Bennett  will assist in any emergency what so ever, whether it’s a bike recovery or to take care of minor injuries. I will help wherever I’m fit and capable with whatever situation. Even prepared to take you home if needs be, BUT just for the record, I’m not liable for any damage that is inflicted on you or your bike. If you have a mishap, it’s for your account...................... Just covering my ass.

So all that you dogs have to worry about is to have fun and enjoy the route. It’s a scenic route with a lot of mountains and valleys to see. There’s also wildlife on some of the farms that you can watch out for. Please take pictures whenever you can. Although I’ve got more opportunities to take pictures, I’m not always going to be where the action is.

Final arrangements:

All the kit must be brought to me on Thursday, 25 October 2012. It will be better if we can get together somewhere central. I will be at the Pick ‘n Pay, Garden Centre in Lorraine at say 19:30 and will hang around for till 20:00. You can meet me in the parking lot in front of where the old Legacy/Barney’sused to be in Garden Centre Shopping Centre, Lorraine S33 58.177 E25 31.576.  The reason why Thursday night and not Friday is that I'll only join you dogs at the Klein Rivier gate. You dogs are going to fly while I have to crawl to Klein Rivier with the Landy.

Please give your name and what bike you’re riding.

1.)            J-mo  - Landy
2.)            Innis  - Landy
3.)            Johann van Rooyen   -  Ford Ranger
4.)            Jupiter  -  600XT
5.)            Dirt junkie - F800GS
6.)            Advrider -  xt 660r
7.)            Hotwire -  F650GS Dakar
8.).           Nemodakar - XR 650 (Net halfpad.)
9.)            Archer - XT660Z
10.)          Wolweseun  -  XR 650
11.)          Kop. -  XT1200Z
12.)          Johnno  -Saam my in die Landy.
13.)          214 -  610 Husky
14.)          Tyger -  Sas 400

Attached is a simplified map of the route.

Attachments

• Great Baviaans challange.jpg
    Great Baviaans challange.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 684