The road to The Roof of Africa. Lesotho.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryhcs

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Day 1
Thursday morning I met up with Gg, Seamus and Jake at the Ultra City on the N3 before Heidelberg.
The plan; To ride up Sani Pass, sleep there then head to the Roof of Africa to see how its done.

We fueled up in Harrysmith and then road past the Sterkfontuin Dam. We had a quick lunch at Nottingham Road and then headed to Sani taking the Soutar’s Hill Pass.

cdfsy.jpg

PKDQO.jpg

The pass is a very pretty gravel road that goes up and down the mountains and over the Umkomaas River.

0dgvq.jpg

LTGXf.jpg

S0oXK.jpg

VciLP.jpg

7Nd8S.jpg

Gg and I made a quick stop at Himeville to fill up our tanks and then we gunned it like demons to the Sani border. I must have bottomed my rear shock about 10 times! Time to replace that old stock donkey shock...

PSiZ2.jpg

Passing the border at the bottom of the pass was painless.

WmrT0.jpg

Sani Pass, to my opinion, must be one of the great passes in SA. Its not very long, but its so beautifully. The views just gets better and better as you go higher to eventually end up at 2850m above sea level. By the time we got up the pass and stamped our passports on the Lesotho side the mist was creeping over the pass. We had a few drinks on the dek of the Sani Top Lodge. (The highest pub in the world) to watch the weather turn quickly. We also met up with Rauri and Paul at the pub. They were to ride with us the next day.

oNl9v.jpg

Naq43.jpg

MVhW3.jpg

39as3.jpg

QU0tU.jpg

2lXou.jpg

pRpvt.jpg

HU9Xh.jpg

WcPdb.jpg

2y2re.jpg