This is why I like riding solo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hando

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
This morning I woke up and realized that I had two choices of what to do with my day. Option 1 was to wash the dishes , clean the house and then watch TV while it rains outside. Option 2 was to ride.

And so I donned my ATGATT and my rainsuit and set off in the direction of Stellenbosch. I did not have a fixed plan in mind and decided to ride as the fancy took me. I did have it in the back of my mind to go and find the elusive waterfall that has been discussed in my previous RR. https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=96999.0

I went up Helshoogte and down the other side. Must be the slowest I have ever travelled on that road , but the road was wet and I was not taking any chances. About halfway down Helshoogte I turned right onto a road called Seven Rivieren pad.

IMG_0358_sml.jpg

IMG_0359_sml.jpg

IMG_0361_sml.jpg

IMG_0362_sml.jpg

And this is why I like riding solo. Because I could stop when I wanted , or turn around and go back if I wanted. For the photos above I stopped 3 times in a matter of 200 meters.

I rode around a bit and took some pics here and there.

IMG_0364_sml.jpg

Then off through Pniel and on Towards Franschoek.

I have wanted to stop and photograph this bridge ever since I saw it many many years ago , and today I took my chance.

IMG_0366_sml.jpg

IMG_0371_sml.jpg

IMG_0372_sml.jpg

From there I rode into Franschoek and stopped for a bit of coffe and a very nice breakfast.

IMG_0373_sml.jpg

IMG_0374_sml.jpg

With breakfast sorted I took on Franschoek pass at a very sedate pace. Once again the slowest I have ever gone through the pass , but I was not in the mood to put my bike down due to a slippery road.

IMG_0375_sml.jpg

IMG_0378_sml.jpg

I went through Villiersdorp and went back to the Kwaaimansgat road to see if I can find that waterfall.

IMG_0381_sml.jpg

IMG_0384_sml.jpg

I followed the road to the waterfall, but being a law abiding citizen I turned around when I came to a closed gate in the road.

This was the view of the Elandsriviervalley from my turnaround point.
IMG_0385_sml.jpg

Back through Villersdorp I followed my nose and just rode around next to the Theewaterskloof dam.
The Autumn colours were really pretty.

IMG_0387_sml.jpg

Then I turned back down my old favourite - Van Der Stell pass.

I had to wonder about a name like this :

IMG_0389_sml.jpg

Here are some pics taken in Van Der Stell pass :

IMG_0390_sml.jpg

IMG_0391_sml.jpg

IMG_0392_sml.jpg

IMG_0394_sml.jpg

IMG_0397_sml.jpg

IMG_0398_sml.jpg

I decided to also try and be 'creative' as I see a lot of other wilddogs do . ;)

IMG_0399_sml.jpg

I stopped in Kleinmond for a cuppa.

IMG_0400_sml.jpg

And then on past Betty's bay and down the R44 towards home. The wind was really not nice.

I saw this Diesel spill and slowed down before I got there , but still had a fright as my front wheel slid on the diesel. I turned around for these photos and quickly posted an update on the diesel-spill FB page before heading home.

IMG_0401_sml.jpg

IMG_0402_sml.jpg

This was the view of the Helderbergbasin on my way home.

IMG_0403_sml.jpg

IMG_0404_sml.jpg

And after a whole day of riding I nearly donnered neer while taking these last two pics when my foot slipped on the gravel next to the road. I managed to keep the bike upright , but I swear I thought my hamstring was going to snap while I fought with superhuman effort to keep my bike right side up.