time to upgrade - help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill p

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
Hi dawgs
For the past 4 or so years I have had the pleasure of riding my beautiful old 600XT thumper around with a few mates on day trips and the occasional 2 day excursion.
This old faithfull has given me nothing but smiles.
However, over the easter weekend this year, a mate on his DR650 and myself did a 5 day trip from here to Memel, then down along the berg and all the way to Munster on the Natal south coast and back.
We did about 2200km in 4 days of actual riding.
While on the dirt my old thumper was a blast but getting there was a pain in the ass. These bikes are not happy at anything over 110 - 120 which made for a very frustrating ride through the flat back roads of the Free state etc.
We are keen to start doing some Cape trips or similar and I have come to the realisation that I will have to upgrade to something slightly bigger.
I am a old school biker with average riding ability with all the latest upgrades and advances on bikes not really meaning much to me. I will get on whatever I have and ride to the best of my and my bikes ability.
First thing for me the bike must look good. I must get excited every time I walk towards the bike.
I don't need to go anything over 130 - 140 because after that I just shit myself.
Small and compact works for me.
With all these requirements, the 660 Z is pushing all the right buttons for me.
From all the guys who know, would I be able to jump on to this machine and do a Cape tour in relative comfort and reliability,Somebody mentioned that the R might be a better bet.
Still want to do as much dirt and semi technical stuff as possible

Having said all that, is there anyone out there selling a Z, preferably white.
Is there anyone out there who might be interested in buying my old XT in the R22000 bracket?

Look forward to hearing from you dawgs in the know 

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0750.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0750.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 353