to Mousse or not to Mousse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michiel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
I'm sitting with a serious dilemma. To moose or not to moose...

For adventure riding and to me the answer is clear, stick to tubes for various obvious reasons already discussed in this forum.
Here is one such https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=53024.0

Now this is not a problem to me, my problem starts with enduro riding. This means for me mostly really slow and
technical riding.

This weekend I will be attending a 3 day training session with Wild Will in Lesotho. Despite breaking some ribs 16 days ago
during a 2 hour session with Will I am looking forward to trying again. One thing I have to address though is the fact that
Will advises mooses to the point that I almost feel I don't have a choice. https://www.wildwillracing.com/

I have also committed to the Sea to Ski extreme enduro event end of the year. This is not a race but a competitive team effort
to try and get through 3 days of extreme enduro riding all the way from the Wild Coast to the Tiffindell Ski Resort. Then I will
also be under peer pressure to fit mooses as everyone else have.

Now here is the breakdown:

Mooses saves on having to fix punctures and having to carry heavy tools/spares to do so but I am not scared at fixing this
and can do so in 30min. So this alone doesn't convince me to pay up the huge price tag. The team sitting looking at me in
frustration while their "racing" time laps maybe a consideration...

Mooses are expensive and have to be replaced often.

And here is the BIG question: I know riding on air, one can adjust the pressure in the tyre to achieve different results in different
situations. The tubed tyre rolls with a certain flex and softness while feeling elastic on impact. It recovers to perfect tyre shape in
milliseconds ready for the next uneven object to roll over.

Will a moose have the same caracter or will it be better or worse?

It just seems like a moose will feel solid and the ride wooden like wearing the clog shoes of the Netherlands.

Attachments

• IMG_6782.jpg
    IMG_6782.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 506