Transalp 650 popping on deceleration.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMan

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Hi All,

So I picked up my Transalp about a week agao. 2006 xl 650, stock standard.
Still has the original pipe and catalytic converter.

First thought was i needed to change the pipe.
A mate of mine called me to tell me he knows and oak who has a full cowley system for the transalp and wanted a R1000 for it.

Bought and fitted, the pipe sounds awesome and saved me the hassle of having the catalytic converter cut out.

Problem is the bike seems to Pop or backfire when decelerating or rolling off the throttle.
To address the issue I have opened the air screww on both carbs a little this seemed to help, but has not fully resolved the issue, it doesnt seem to be an air leak at the headers either

The air screws are already opened 3 and a 1/4 turns from closed and not sure i can go any more. Were set at 2 and 3/4 so i have only opened half a turn more. I would like to keep the pipe on but do not want to damage the motor riding it with it popping. Planning a trip on the 27 into the transkei, do i Put the old pipe back until I get the chance to send the bike in to be set correctly with the new pipe?

Is there anything else i can do to try and help with the popping, backfiring.
How bad is it for the motor to continue to ride it like it is.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards