Tubed - Tubeless stuff up - ride report sort of.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use UHD tubes in your DS bike

• Total voters

KTM Chris

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
My new 990 Ktm has 3500 km on the clock - bought it out the box from RAD.

Been through and around Dewildt / off road without any problems.

Saturday Malcolm and I decide to do a trip through Dewildt / along the canals / Jericho Rock - beers at Beestekraal and then home.

3 hours into the ride - along the canals in the middle of nowhere - I feel like Cyril Depres in the Dakar riding in FESH FESH. WTF - front flat.

Ok so I have the Kit ( scouts motto - be prepared - and I'm practicing for my Zim trip in December)

Tubeless scorpions
Co bombs
Puncture kit
Plugs
Alles for punctures

I even have two tyre levers in my bag for good measure.

Within fifteen minutes I have the tyre plugged - a thorn 4cm long was the problem.

Wait a few minutes for the glue to dry - first CO2 bomb does nothing.

I realize that the farkers have put a tube in a tubeless tyre - and this is where the fun begins.

In no time I have the Tyre off - tube out - we patch the puncture - wait for the glue to set on the patch.

Tube  pumped slightly ( no leaks) cool - back in the tyre .Tyre back on bike - inflate with Malcolm's tyre weld because we used 3 bombs by this stage.

We are off on our way - 10 km later - Flat - in he middle of now where - GPS says 10km  to he R511 BP garage - FARK ME.

So I rode this on a flat front - the hardest 10 km I have ridden in ages - by now it 13:50 and fortunately we made he best of the cold beers we found at the garage.

They could not help us at the garage - sadly we had to phone a friend - Pierre came to fetch us with the trailer from JHB

Got home at 19:00

So am I doos for thinking that tubeless was tubeless.
Advice to all - check what you are riding on and what's in them.

Put heavy duty enduro tubes In at day one - or not?

Why where my tubeless tyres not tubeless.

Those Pirelli scorpions are really soft - could not believe that the rubber is so pliable.

I pump them - 2.4 front and back - all terrain. Because why - it's a farking heavy bike.

My. 300 xcw does Dewildt with much more rough terrain - no punctures - but I do use fuggit in them.

Would love to hear your views.

My GF is now very nervous about this happening in the middle of Zim and my mates will be very far away!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 389
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 389