tyre advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millroy

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
I have just discovered a self tapping screw in the rear tyre of my 1150RT. I removed the screw and attempted to effect a repair using the BMW "bomb" kit. The glue in the BMW kit is like chewing gum and is totally useless. I reinserted the screw and inflated the tyre and managed to get home. The question is, do I repair with a regular gator as a car tyre is done and if so what type of life can be expected or do I repair with the BMW plug? The tyre is new and has done less than 1000Km. I am doing the Namibia trip next month and wonder if the repaired tyre would survive or should I just replace it? If I replace it I would like to know which tyre will be the best for the 5000Km trip which has lots of straight roads? All input would be greatly appreciated.

To BMW I would like to know what the shelf life of their glue/bomb kit is and how can we check if the kit is still functionable? I could have been 200Km away from assistance!

Thanx

Keith