Ultrabatt and other LiFePO4 batteries - your experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volroom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Seems the new gen Lithium Iron phosphate batteries are still in its infancy (there are others; shorai, scorpion stinger - with a claimed 530cca! Find that a bit hard to believe). I did a search to look up some info on these batteries; but did not find what I was looking for. Even googling "Ultrabatt review", you get nothing. I'm interested in getting an Ultrabatt, but would like to know what experience riders have (especially R1150GS, R1200GS).

A lot of pros are listed, and almost no cons (https://www.bikegear.co.za/f8996045-1b18-4093-8d96-d86121adaecd-9.html) - can the claim that Ultrabatt has been involved with Dakar and racing for years be confirmed? How long have Ultrabatts been around?

Did you realize that Ultrabat Ah (capacity) figures are not released? Do you know why? Because the UB600Lite is a 6.9Ah battery, not a 18-21Ah battery. Now, I know that they mention that these batteries can replace up to a 21Ah battery, BUT that's in terms of cca (cold cranking amps); what's needed to start the motor. The claimed cca for the UB600 is very high (360cca). I've seen 35Ah car batteries with 330 cca's.. Where does the Ah come in? If you have lots of things draining the power of your battery WHILST riding (unless you have a proper alternator, like the R1150GS   ;D)

If you have the time and your interested; there's a good read on ADVrider on the topic (supposedly the most comprehensive information on lithium iron phosphate batteries on the www) : https://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757934    (on the last page I inquire RE Ultrabatts)

Have you read this, LeCap? seems the notion is that the AGM batteries are the best buy in the end. There's some interesting info here. There seems to be some cons with these lithium batteries that we might not be aware of.

What I want to hear about is your experience with your Ultrabatt. Has it ALL been only good? I think we should be informed if were willing to fork out the cash for these batteries.