Untamed Lesotho

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slick

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
This is a letter from myself to Gary after our trip and his response – he’s slowly getting stronger.

Hi there Gary,

Today I feel like a million bucks - having spent the weekend trail riding in what has got to be one of the best riding destinations in the world.

There is no intention in trying to make you envious of the ride you missed and BTW welcome back home, there is no better place.

This past weekend must rate as one of the best of the 2618 I have survived - Friday saw the Natal Boys being separated from their back up vehicles and fortunately for them they made it to a lodge and spent the night there in their kit.

Your wish was granted as we left Katse on Saturday with no idea as to what lay in store or whenever we would meet up with our back up.

We rode past dozens of villages where I am sure no Mlungu's have ridden before - waves, smiles and greetings - another wish of yours was the goodwill gesture, books, crayons, toys and clothes were distributed to a very humble and appreciative people.  At one stage Pieter and Chris each had a herd boy on the back, for them to show us where to cross a huge river that blocked our progress.

The Basotho people are amazing farmers.  Every suitable piece of mountain is under cultivation.  Their stock animals are as good as any in S.A. - their horses are tough and well kept as with their donkeys.  They truly live on the edge and give what little they have.

At one stage both Laird and myself hit the wall, but were quickly marshalled up by "Colonel" Pieter and when I finally made it up the Mother of all mountains I staggered into a village and received the sweetest water I ever tasted - my trippa ran dry an hour before.

I have never looked forward to riding on a track (that Pieter kept on promising us was there somewhere), as much as the last 12km, in my life.  We arrived at fuel stop 2 to find the braai (supplied by Secunda Supa Spa) ready and the beer cold (supplied by my back up crew).

Then on to Sani and down on the bikes on Sunday.

Trips like this enforce my love of Africa, of good riding buddies and never to take stuff for granted.

Thanks to you and Pieter for staging the ride and hoping to be back on the trail with you soon.

Regards,
Nick Voigt

Hi Nick

Thanks so much for this mail. From all you and the guys have said, I really did miss something special and I am looking forward to doing it in the future. I agree that Lesotho is like the ultimate adventure playground - extreme and always that element of danger lurking.
I'm relieved that everyone enjoyed this tough 1st extreme adventure tour and we will definitely be doing more of these. Your letter is excellent, thanks Nick!

Regards,
Gary

Some pics which tell the story:

The Group
P3203432.jpg

Does it get any better?
P3203433.jpg

Check on top
P3203439.jpg

Tocadisco down – sorry Bud – put paid to his week ends fun
P3203443.jpg

Big country