Very quick East Freestate + Lesotho weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cois

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
A while ago I came across and road report on a 4x4 website of a route through the northern section of Lesotho just south of the Caledon River. After a quick confirmation for anyone on wilddogs that’s been there (see post here https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=105526.msg2059938#msg2059938) we decided that this was something to explore, so we made a trip of it.
Route_zpsc14a256a.jpg

I was planning to drive from De Aar to Reitz while two buddies of mine were coming from Pta to Reitz. Saturday morning we met in Bethlehem. The weather was not going to play nicely according to the report and after some shopping for warmer clothes and socks we headed for Clarens and breakfast.
Photo1_zpscf5a54d9.jpg

We booked for a night of camping at Glen Reenen campsite in Golden Gate. The weather however did not scare us too much and after pitching the tents we were off to look for that route through Lesotho.
16 km east of Glen Reenen, as you exit the Golden Gate, you get a very minor and unused gravel road. It immediately became an eroded jeep track and lowering tyre pressures were required as we ascended a ±230m climb over 7 kms. Turning around were becoming less and less of an option. Suddenly we drove across a beautiful grass field with wildebeest and Bontebokke running around us to get to the ridge to the East. Wow what a scene!
IMG_0310_zpsdb788f20.jpg

Now we were hooked as we continued to the Monantsapas border post where we were to enter Lesotho. The border post is situated at the top of a pass and as we were getting our passports and bikes checked the heavens started to rumble. We were in for a wet ride! So we kitted up and continued forward.
Borderpost_zps620a331b.jpg

We were all impressed when we saw the construction work on the downhill-side into Lesotho. Someone was busy constructing a new concrete paved road and major embankment stabilisation work at each stream crossing. As we ascended with ease the heaven opened and hale came down like snow. In hindsight this must have been ice rain but it went on long enough to cover everything in a white blanket. This was becoming the best trip ever!
P1030193_zpsd4b9121a.jpg

Bikes1_zps0a549439.jpg

This was my first time in Lesotho and as we drove you cannot but think how well and in comfort we live. In the same weather that we were having an adventure in, these locals were looking after their cattle and walking around in their blankets for warmth.
Kids_zps55a0031f.jpg

P1030197_zps0d72b963.jpg

The gravel section for this route took us about 3 and a half hour to complete. With many stops and a couple of water crossings it proved to be one of the best routes I've done to date.
Water_zps8cc84802.jpg

P1030199_zps23bf5c3b.jpg

Bikes_zpsd0e1a148.jpg

Thanks Gerrit and Danie for a memorable trip. We should do this again!