Warning about bike workshop - Mosselbay

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schalk Oets

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I ride a 2010 KLR 650 and late Nov started hearing a knocking noise from the engine, I took it in to AST in Mosselbay and was told it needed a new piston and rings, ok what do I know. A few thousand Rand later I was also told that I'd also need a new cam adjuster !  I went to get the bike, at the workshop when they started the bike I told him that it doesn't sound right, a guy knows ones bike and that wasn't right!
He told me it will be like that, I like a dumb ass believed him. Did a half trip to Baviaans and back about 600km on the trip the bike was smoking and using lots of oil.

I got back and parked the bike, wanted a second opinion as I by now didn't trust AST's work and called another shop in George, they came and got the bike.

When they checked they found that the piston was too small for the sleeve. According to Kawasaki SA the sleeve is nikisol coated and by just boring it it loses the coating and would need to be re sleeved!

I took the barrel and piston back to AST, they said they would get a new piston and rings which they did without a problem.

The balls up is they didn't get any of the pins or head gasket that was needed and ill still have to re sleeve ! And now is gonna cost me another R600 odd for the pins and gasket.
Above that what they didn't even pick up on was the fact that the timing chain was shot and needed replacing !
Now what I have been thinking is that it was the chain from the start as the bike wasn't smoking or lagging power to start with!

And all in all the new parts is costing me R4000 and labour is still. To be added.
I spent R7200 at AST in Dec and now have to pay extra and think its crap !
They should have seen and fixed everything in the first place ! Its been standing since Dec.
If they fixed everything when I had it in then I would also have had the money to fix everything but it being in the new year and things go as they do I have had a mission getting things done!

What I'm saying is just be very careful to where you take your off road bike ! And question things if they seem not right !

And get a second opinion if in doubt! I won't let them work on any bike I own again or might own in the future!