What GPS to get

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawieMAN

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hi guys

I’m looking for a GPS for a trip that will kick off later this year.
I have never had a GPS but I think it will be necessary for this trip (to be honest a GPS is something I know next to nothing about)

My budget is EXTREMELY limited and I have narrowed my choices down to 4.
Etrex 20 or 30 or GPSMAPS 64 or 64s

The trip I am planning is going to take me on a 7 month loop through the Eastern half of Africa. As far north as Port Sudan and then back down again.
I don’t need the biggest screen and I don’t need the GPS to talk to me. I don’t need a touch screen either. Obviously those things are very NICE to have but I can get away without it. I will be more than happy with just a basic GPS as long as that basic GPS model is up for the job. It doesn’t help I get the most affordable option and then I don’t have signal when I am in the middle of nowhere – or other unforeseen GPS things I know nothing about.

In reality my budget can go as far as the Etrex 30 – but if it REALLY is necessary then I can take the plunge and squeeze out the extra cash for the 64s.

What I really want to find out is this:
Do you guys think the Etrex 20 be fine for the type of trip I am about to do or should I take the plunge and go for the GPS64s – or any one of the other options.