Wheel balance advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J3THRO

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
Hi Guys

My R has always had a bit of a wobble. At the 1000 service I mentioned it to KTM and they reckoned I am running the wrong tyre pressure in front. Now I run 2.5 bar no matter what surface.

The wobble has never really gone away completely and I have just accepted it. The steering damper did help a bit but this just masks the real problem, I guess.

Yesterday I fitted a new EO9 on the back at West Coast Yamaha in Vredenburg. When I picked up my wheel they said that they could not balance it and it is out with 140 g on the one side, which is kind of serious apparantly, they think my rim might be buckled.

I have never had any serious knocks on that rimm and it looks 100%.

I fit the wheel and went up to 170 on the tar and it does not feel any worse than it was before. I had an EO7 on before this.

Maybe the wobble is caused by the back wheel all along while I am thinking the problem is in front?
I am running thick tubes in both wheels + a TKC in front.

Is it possible to check the rimm without the tyre and tube and determine if the rimm isnt 100% ?