XT660Z Tenere Cold Start Engine Noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAT250

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250 Rally
XT660Z Tenere Cold Start Engine Noise

My XTZ has always had Motul 3000 20W50 in it and run/idle quiet from a cold start and when hot.

On a recent and long (4000km plus) trip and not wanting to ride the Motul till the 10000km service interval I replaced it on the trip with Castrol Actevo 20W40 as I could not get Motul in George. Did around 5000km with the Actevo, with cold starts and when hot, the engine was quiet / sounded the same as with the Motul

Now at 10600km the oil got change using Motul 20W50 again….only thing now is, when the engine idles after a cold start there is an engine noise that goes away slowly as the engine warms up. Once warmed up and when fairly cooled down the noise is not there after start-up and idling.

Took the bike back to Yamaha and they said the noise is normal and sometimes more pronounced after an oil change (thicker new oil and especially when it is cold) and is due to the timing chain tensioner not taking up the proper tension till the oil has warmed up a bit. (They started a XTZ that was there for servicing and sure thing I could hear the sound till the bike warmed up.)

A colleague had the same issue on his XTZ, except he always had Actevo in and no noise, changed to the thicker Motul before a trip and then noticed the sound after a cold start-up till the engine is warmed up. After the trip of less than a 1000km he replaced the Motul with Actevo and the sound has been gone ever since.

So after this long story the question is, is this sound normal with the XTZ or has anyone else noticed a sound at cold start-up that goes away as the bike warms up??