Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Starting probLems on 08 CRF250R  (Read 562 times)

Offline Skipskop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • ;-)
Starting probLems on 08 CRF250R
« on: May 28, 2015, 04:44:10 pm »
A friend of mine`s 2008 CRF250R starts very difficult, warm or cold.
This is the kick-start model, he bought it second hand and was told that the engine had just been overhaul at Honda in PE, which they confirmed.
The bike was taken back to them and they fitted a new coil or something and said it was OK now.
He loaded the bike on the bakkie without trying it out first and when he tried to start it at home it was still battling to start.
Any suggestions on this problem from the Honda experts out there will be appreciated.
Bike is in Jeffreys Bay.
He obviously does not want to take it back to the agents.
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
Re: Starting probLems on 08 CRF250R
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 07:50:39 am »
On a 250 it must be valves for sure, they can go out of spec very quickly. Measure and confirm. Will be easy to do on that bike.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Skipskop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • ;-)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 01:27:22 pm »
On a 250 it must be valves for sure, they can go out of spec very quickly. Measure and confirm. Will be easy to do on that bike.

Sidetrack that's what I thought as well, but the Honda agents should have checked that first I would think ?
Especially after they had overhauled the whole engine with the previous owner and after that it had difficulty starting, hence the reason for him selling .
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline JohnB

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 02:07:39 pm »
Back to the agents.. with clear instructions to RESOLVE THE BLOODY PROMBLEM !!  :thumleft:
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.