Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Canadian shipping bike to SA...  (Read 6122 times)

Offline Hayu Overthere

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Canadian shipping bike to SA...
« on: September 28, 2016, 06:24:31 pm »
Do I absolutel have to have a Carnet?  It seems Temporary Import Permits (TIP) are becoming acceptable almost everywhere else.
Shipping London to Capetown in Nov. '16.
Thanks

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Canadian shipping bike to SA...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 06:39:09 pm »
Do I absolutel have to have a Carnet?  It seems Temporary Import Permits (TIP) are becoming acceptable almost everywhere else.
Thanks

It's just easier with Customs this side, otherwise you will lodge deposits for duty & vat here.  It also takes a while to get the deposits back
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline Hayu Overthere

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 02:22:26 pm »
How about travelling north.  Will most of the other countries permit travel and provide a Temporary Importation Permit?

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 02:28:12 pm »
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 02:35:05 pm »
Thanks

Everybody uses a Carnet, very few people seafreight here most airfreight.
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 03:27:16 pm »
Hayu
 I see you have started a thread, just commented on the Zog thread.
 Having a Carnet was useful but some boarders don't know how to properly fill it out. Kind of hard to tell them how to do their job but do keep an eye on it to make sure they get the stamps in the right place and on the right section.
Bob
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline Hayu Overthere

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 03:36:23 pm »
Thanks.  Canadain Auto Association no longer grants Carnets and have farmed it out to an American for-profit company.  They will tell me where they "are accepted", but not where they are MANDATORY.  Of course because they charge almost $1000 CDN for their service, on top of the $20,000 US CASH that they require as a deposit.
I can live with not going to Egypt but it would seem that most other countries in Africa have some form of TIP?  I don't mind paying a small fee for use of their most excellent road systems or placing a deposit as assurance that I will not sell my bike in their country, but I would really rather not tie up $40,000 CDN in a Carnet if it only means that there are a few countries that I will not be able to enter?
CC...I just saw your post as I was writing this, thanks.  In my worst nightmare, I screw up the carnet process and lose my deposit altogether.  I don't trust a for-profit company to fight for me like I would the Auto Assoc.  The company, Boomarang Carnets, have no skin in the game...they've already been paid!

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 03:40:28 pm »
 The company, Boomarang Carnets,

Hope that's not their actual name?!!! :eek7: :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Hayu Overthere

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 06:04:09 pm »
Yes.  That is their name.  They come right back atcha, haha.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 06:35:00 am »
$40k will buy you a brand new motorcycle already in ZA!

Which countries are you planning to ride in?
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 09:06:35 am »
$40k will buy you a brand new motorcycle already in ZA!

Which countries are you planning to ride in?

:o

You could buy a house for that money...
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Hayu Overthere

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 11:44:01 pm »
Where can you buy a brand new house for $40k?!?
 Average price of a freestanding 3 bedroom home within 45 minutes of Vancouver is now...are you sitting down?...$1,500,000 CDN. (R15,000,000). Glad I bought my house a long time ago!  The kid will be living in a shoe box until he wins the lottery.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 07:58:28 am »
look, it may not be a free-standing house, and it may not be brand new, and it may not be in the best neighbourhood, but for half a bar you can definitely buy some property here.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline corne.l

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Say what?
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 08:00:31 am »
look, it may not be a free-standing house, and it may not be brand new, and it may not be in the best neighbourhood, but for half a bar you can definitely buy some property here.

Yup .... definitely possible in some parts of SA.
in vino veritas, in cervesio felicitas

Yamaha XT1200Z (2010)
Yamaha XT660Z (2009) - SOLD
BMW F650GS Dakar (2004) - SOLD

Offline spankme

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 08:15:59 am »
When Malema takes over he said the houses will be free

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 06:45:09 am »
Check out getting your Carnet in South Africa, I know of one case were a US citizen with US registered bike got his Carnet in SA. Was much cheaper.  With Canadian A. A. getting out of the Carnet process, I got my last one through Switzerland office, (US bike and citizen). Cost was m/l what CAA charged me. Have been told that Egypt will do Temp import but you have to put down a deposit. Good luck sorting it all out.
Bob
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline Hayu Overthere

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 03:19:57 am »
Check out getting your Carnet in South Africa, I know of one case were a US citizen with US registered bike got his Carnet in SA. Was much cheaper.  With Canadian A. A. getting out of the Carnet process, I got my last one through Switzerland office, (US bike and citizen). Cost was m/l what CAA charged me. Have been told that Egypt will do Temp import but you have to put down a deposit. Good luck sorting it all out.
Bob
Thanks.  That is great to know.  It's my understanding that India is a mandatory Carnet country?  Australia is a Carnet or duty posted country.  Not sure about SEA countries but if I can get a Carnet reasonably in SA I may go that route.  I'll post here when I find out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline Hayu Overthere

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 05:21:19 am »
Okay.  So the bike is here, and so am I.

The bike has been offloaded in Durban and "presented to Customs", whatever that means, and I am to contact the shipping agent here on Monday morning.  Then I will have to cough up the cash to spring the bike.  I was told I could do an ETF but when I went to the Canadian bank just before I left to tee it up, they told me that they won't do an electronic funds transfer outside of the country.  Too many scams and no way to recover the funds.  Wire transfer only and it could take up to 4 days and even then, no guarantees.   Hmmm...hoping that the agent will accept CC for deposit and forward to Customs as it will be instantaneous.  (They do accept CC for their fees so,...).   

I, on the other had just got here.  I left my home in British Columbia early Wednesday morning and arrived here Saturday evening!  :o   Salt Spring Island/Vancouver/Toronto/Addis Ababa//Joburg/Durban. ($935cdn = R9350 approx in case you're wondering).  The flight from Toronto was a Gong Show!  The "Carry On luggage" was a farce!  2 year old kids with Carry on luggage big enough for them to sleep in and old ladies who couldn't manage all that they had!   One biggish roller bag, one Monster "purse", one plastic duty free bag large enough for 3 good sized watermelons, and carrying a large winter jacket and a scarf.  Now drop them in the aisle...then ask for help to lift these into an already over full loverhead luggage bin   :o

It made the flight an hour late leaving and I missed my connection in AA and had to spend the night there.    The dogs would start howling every hour on the hour!  Hundreds of them and the sound would move across the city...just freaky...Airline footed the bill for transport, hotel and three meal but still would rather have made my flight,

Offline Hayu Overthere

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 05:35:40 am »
I've had so many warnings about taking personal security seriously here that I'm concerned.  Should I be?  Don't walk here after dark...don't walk here alone...don't walk here at all.  When riding, Don't stop for stop signs, or traffic lights, or when you're breathing, unless you don't want to be!  Don't take regular cabs, Uber only?  Don't talk to strangers...like I'm a 3 year old...  is it really that bad?  Just in the cities, or just Durban, or at all?  Bars on all the windows?  Is this acceptable to the citizens or are the inmates running the asylum?  I've been following Mr. Zog's American resettling adventure, and as a Canadian, we think America is dangerous.  He thinks it's a walk in the park.  Hmmm.....I may have to adjust my trusting, outgoing nature?  I'm riding solo, so am I going to spend the next couple of my months looking over my shoulder?  Please tell me it ain't so?

Also, I was going to head straight up the Sani pass, but should I take a day or two and take a look at the Wild Coast (I think it's called) before I head south?  Any good beachfront camping up there?  I've got the chair,  just add beer and a view.

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2016, 07:16:33 am »
I've had so many warnings about taking personal security seriously here that I'm concerned.  Should I be?  Don't walk here after dark...don't walk here alone...don't walk here at all.  When riding, Don't stop for stop signs, or traffic lights, or when you're breathing, unless you don't want to be!  Don't take regular cabs, Uber only?  Don't talk to strangers...like I'm a 3 year old...  is it really that bad?  Just in the cities, or just Durban, or at all?  Bars on all the windows?  Is this acceptable to the citizens or are the inmates running the asylum?  I've been following Mr. Zog's American resettling adventure, and as a Canadian, we think America is dangerous.  He thinks it's a walk in the park.  Hmmm.....I may have to adjust my trusting, outgoing nature?  I'm riding solo, so am I going to spend the next couple of my months looking over my shoulder?  Please tell me it ain't so?

Also, I was going to head straight up the Sani pass, but should I take a day or two and take a look at the Wild Coast (I think it's called) before I head south?  Any good beachfront camping up there?  I've got the chair,  just add beer and a view.

Hi Hayu,

Growing up in South Africa, I haven't had any issues. But my aunt had been hijacked, and a few friends have had their homes broken into.
I have walked in forests and the beach and in parks by myself, a single female. If I do have to walk somewhere at night, be it alone or with friends, I am always alert and try not to show signs of uncertainty or fear.
Don't walk around with your cell phone or wallet out.
If I am in a crowd of people, I walk so that my arm or hand is always touching my pocket or bag where I have valuables- pick pockets have got good these days.
Stay clear of the dodgy areas (you will know them when you see them).
I don't think bike hijackings happen often in SA? But I believe it just comes down to being alert at all times.

Oh, not sure about beachfront camping, but definitely stick your toes in the ocean :)