Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 500 Adventure Filthy  (Read 4893 times)

Offline MaxThePanda

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
500 Adventure Filthy
« on: July 15, 2017, 08:11:18 am »
True adventure goes down far from civilisation. In the wild places. The deepest, furthest desert dirt. But what if you want to get really, really filthy? *

Man needs horse. Horses are bastards. Then there was this:

Hello.

* Motocycles are unclean beasts. Plus there are severe water restrictions down here. If dirty offends you, stop reading, because I fucking love motorcycles.

I've messed around with a bunch of them, but the one I probably loved the most was this:

I built it up to ride the Amageza in 2014 http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=156398.0, and it was a blast. I'd come off this:

and if I'm entitled to an opinion I will tell you that KTMs enduro bikes are a hell of a lot more fun than their street bikes (that's you 690, 1190, 1090, 911, 10111, etc.). A guy just rode one 36,000km around the world http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/new-zealand-to-oregon-and-now-alaska-on-a-ktm-500exc.1181912/, but take my word - if you try that you will break it. He got lucky. It's bullshit. These are fragile, high maintenance race beasts, and it will all end in tears.

But in the meantime you'll have the ride of your life.

I loved that 450. It took me through two Amagezas, and a couple of tours. It was fast, light, beautiful, simple, and just wonderful to ride offroad compared to anything I'd been on before. After the 2015 Amageza I decided to can this whole dangerous, high speed racing shit and get into enduro cause I love the technical stuff most of all and I'm too old to bounce at 100kph plus. The last two years I've been riding this pretty much every weekend in the mountains and I love it:

Sorry, no, not that. This:

Forget that 450. This is the best bike I ever had. Notice a theme?

Seriously, though, it's bloody awesome. Better than I am, anyway. But back to the matter at hand. The fools I went to Angola with a few years ago http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=133427.0 have decided it's time for a new challenge. This: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=211797.0. And as much as I love my 300 it aint gonna take me around half of Nambia. Nor is my Vespa (on account of no coffee shops en-route). Time for a new bike!

{If you are thinking at this point I whipped up this trip as an excuse to go bike shopping you may not be totally wrong, but bear with me.}

So I ummm'd and aaahhh'd and debated it all endlessly with myself (the arguments were informed, clear, penetratingly insightful)
but kept on coming back to this:

That's the-most-loved-home-made-rally-bike-in-the-entire-world doing double duty in a ditch. Just how I like it. Screw the rest of the softy adventure bike world. Yeah, looking at you, KTM 690. I'm going shopping for a proper dirt bike.

Offline Buff

Re: 500 Adventure Filthy
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 08:24:44 am »
I'm looking forward to the build thread already  :thumleft: Happy shopping bud  :ricky:

PS... If you haven't ridden the new 701 at least give it a try before you pull the trigger  :pot:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:30:17 am »
I'm looking forward to the build thread already  :thumleft: Happy shopping bud  :ricky:

PS... If you haven't ridden the new 701 at least give it a try before you pull the trigger  :pot:

I'm afraid its too late

MaxThePoofPanda is already lovingly stroking his new member

My little big one made him super horny and he had to get one under his bottom chop chop

A road legal fuel injected KTM500 EXC with big tank is the new real adventure bike - does anything, goes anywhere and blows the big bikes away where it really counts ... in the dirt
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:35:51 am by JustBendIt »
The older I get the faster I was

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 08:32:03 am »
I started looking for a bike long before I had the money to buy one. So I conducted a thorough study of availability trends of KTM 500s in South Africa. Yeah baby, 500. That's a whole 10% more capacity than the most beautiful enduro bike ever. Some people say they have completely different characters and that the 500 is better for dual sporting, but I read a magazine article where they taped up the badges and people couldn't tell which one was which after riding them back to back. What the fuck. I've owned a 450, let's try 500.

The new 2017 500 is incredible looking, 5kg lighter and has substantially longer service intervals, so it should make a cracking adventure bike. But the biggest tank currently is the 17l IMS (the previous gen has a 20l Acerbis option) and combined with with the absence of a kick starter I reckoned the 2012-2016 was the one to go for. Actually, that's a lie, I just couldn't afford a new bike.

500's start at about R50k for tired ones, and I was definitely only looking for the standard bike, not the 6-days. Those 4CS forks on the 6-days and Huskies were boiled up in a special kind of hell by some 'tard at WP who just really hates dirt bikes. Probably rides a mo'tard. Theme?

Ideally I'd have liked a 2015/6 - all the bugs were ironed out, the forks were at their most refined, there was better chance of finding an unabused one, and they are just kiff, like my 300. But there was an ad for a 2013 I'd been looking at on the Gummer for a while that apparently wasn't selling. He wanted too much - R68k - and the photos were poor, but if the ad could be believed he had bought the bike, done 800km and kept it in a shed. Curiosity got the better of me, and I asked for some new photos.

Yup. 23 hours and original tyres. I bought it on the spot.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 08:34:32 am »

Yeah, yeah. I know. But a 701 is R130k plus a few bits and pieces and you're at R140k before you blink, and still only have 13l of fuel, and that aint a problem you can solve easily until Safari pull finger out arse and actually get their tank sorted. It's nice, but not R140k nice.

Offline Buff

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 08:35:28 am »
Okay stuff the 701, I would have bought that as well  ;D
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 08:37:22 am »

I'm afraid its too late

MaxThePoofPanda is already lovingly stroking his new member

JustBentIt is still bitter I didn't buy his tired old donkey of a 525 he tried to flog me. Take no notice.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
500 Adventure Filthy
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 08:42:52 am »
Okay stuff the 701, I would have bought that as well  ;D

Look, it's pretty simple. If you're planning on more than about 5,000km a year the 500 just aint gonna cut it - unless you want to buy a new one every Christmas. I'm planning on doing a couple of trips a year on this - my main ride will still be the 300. And a 500 shoots a 690/701's lights out for what I want it for, about which, if you keep reading this thread, you shall be assaulted with endless, tedious, drivel. Of course you may also get to watch me break it.

And most of my daily mileage I do on a serious motorcycle. This:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 09:55:42 am »
I like your ramblings. :pot: and they make so much sense to my "lightweight" mind ;) .

I had a long year of doing homework around which bike to buy, and I looked at all these. I chose the 701, for it's mileage capacity, both in cruising speed and service intervals.

But that 500 is just soooo beautiful!!

My next bike will definitely be a lighter one than the 701, I'm almost 60 with a tingerige lyfie. :eek7:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 01:16:27 pm »
Lekker thread, subscribe

Sent from my SM-T231 using Tapatalk

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 02:26:25 pm »
The 500 needs black wheels and orange frame then it looks even better
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 02:30:19 pm »
sub  8)
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Sprocketbek

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 02:44:47 pm »

I don't agree at all!
Much more practical the way it is  :thumleft:
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots." - Umberto Eco, 2012

Offline Xpat

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 03:06:57 pm »

Spot on!

I must say, for long distance dual sporting I prefer 690. The added heft (mine with added rally kit) makes it more stable - strangely enough for me even in the sand and quite frankly on most long distance rides one cannot avoid long stretches of dirt roads and easy double tracks, where 690 just is better IMO. (Maybe because I'm ehm chunkier than MTP  :peepwall:)

But of course once it gets technical, 500 rules. I use it as weekend bike for trip up to, through and back from DeWildt - (probably 220 - 230 km round trip, most of it dirt) and there it is much better tool for the job (whoops, rocky riverbeds, sand - not so sure) - no contest. I want to use it also on multiday technical rides like Lesotho, or as a second bike for my mate who will have to suck it up on long distance trips.

But the combo together now covers all my needs nicely, except for commuting, which I will probably cover by something cheap and cheefull once I need to (I don't commute now).

Offline Fransw

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 03:35:32 pm »
MaxPunda, why don't you like the Six Days? I thought it is a "upgraded" and slightly better version!?

Offline KarooKid

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 04:32:48 pm »
Ian you should buy bikes more often so we could have more of these topics.

Love it  :thumleft: keep it coming!!
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 06:00:19 pm »
MaxPunda, why don't you like the Six Days? I thought it is a "upgraded" and slightly better version!?

I know you asked MTP but I thought I would interrupt while he is grinding some organic coffee beans that have been shat out of a cats bum

Because its got the closed cartridge 4CS forks - they are not as tuneable and lekker as the normal forks

It also does not have a kick start ... great for racing when every gram counts but kak for an adventure bike when you are in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery

But the 6 Days does have kief stickers and anodised triple clamp and other bling ... but that doesn't make it a better bike
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Renrew

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • livethe1percentlife
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 06:48:40 pm »
Just a correction to justbendit's post - The Six days has a kickstarter, it's the 2017+ 4t's that lost the kickstarter irrespective of six days/non-six days.

Six days also has adjustable trip clapms.

But yes the 4cs is crap.
Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz Mattighofen
KTM 1190R
KTM 990R
KTM 950R Super Enduro_0km ;)
KTM 300 XC-W

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 07:17:03 am »

Spot on!

True words Sidetrack - my 2016 300 is in exactly that configuration, but they don't look pretty forever. A couple seasons of tyre irons and the black rims start to look quite shit. This one's not going to stay bog standard in the colours department, that's for sure.

Xpat - your photos are hidden - privacy settings?

Offline MaxThePanda

• Team 525
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 07:27:25 am »

I know you asked MTP but I thought I would interrupt while he is grinding some organic coffee beans that have been shat out of a cats bum

Because its got the closed cartridge 4CS forks - they are not as tuneable and lekker as the normal forks

Actually, I was wiring up my fivehunny, but those mystical beans you talk of come out of a civet's bum. Curious looking creature, if ever I saw one:

But back to the forks. Forks have two jobs - keep the bike tracking straight when you hit an obstacle like a rock, and keep the wheel in contact with the ground. I owned a lovely little 2014 Beta 300RR for a while that had the worst forks known to god or man. Riding over trail trash at any speed meant alternating between wincing as you took shocks to yours hands and puckering as you tried to hang on while the bike deflected left or right off every sharp edge. Loved the bike, loathed the forks and it had to go.

By all accounts 4CS are exactly the same. Harsh, and deflection central, which is a Very Bad Thing on a motorcycle. I haven't owned a pair, but I rode my mate Aidan's Husky 300 down a rocky mountain once and that experience confirmed everything I'd heard about them. You can spend big cash and make them amazing apparently, but everyone I know who has them despises them, and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

In contrast, WP's open chambers, as fitted to the KTM enduros, are lovely. Plush, smooth, predictable and very reliable. They are cheap and easy to service and tune, and just a great option. Look, they're not KYB SSS or anything, but for these purposes they are the ticket.