Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: GSA Spotlight "bulb" replacement  (Read 344 times)

Offline GSLaaitie

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
GSA Spotlight "bulb" replacement
« on: October 17, 2017, 09:25:30 am »
Good day all

I've noticed that my one spotlight is on longer working. I guess the LED chip / globe / whatever has "blown"?

Any idea what a replacement costs? Is it only an internal part, or am I budgeting to replace the entire spot?

Thanks!
Beer isn't the answer. It's the question. The answer, is Yes!

True story

Offline Constantinople

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
Re: GSA Spotlight "bulb" replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 09:34:44 am »
Hi GSL

The LED unit in 99% of the cases cannot be replaced. You will have to replace the whole unit. The LED is soldered into a chip along with its controller and I think it is more expensive to source the correct parts and replace than just buying new. These LED lights are supposed to last longer than the bike... did it get damaged? Was it a fongcong version? If it was a proper OEM part that is not too old you can even inquire about warranty.

Offline GSLaaitie

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 09:42:03 am »
Hi GSL

The LED unit in 99% of the cases cannot be replaced. You will have to replace the whole unit. The LED is soldered into a chip along with its controller and I think it is more expensive to source the correct parts and replace than just buying new. These LED lights are supposed to last longer than the bike... did it get damaged? Was it a fongcong version? If it was a proper OEM part that is not too old you can even inquire about warranty.
Thanks for the reply.
It is the (2014) OEM part. It also happened a day after the service, but don't want to point fingers...

True story

Offline Constantinople

• Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 10:15:42 am »
Go and ask. Maybe they see a customer kept if they honor you in some way. Keep it factual. Mention that you took it in for a service there the other day, then happily enjoying your ride you noticed the light went out. It is what it is.

Offline Nish

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 01:52:23 pm »
I had a similar issue with my bikes left side spot. It turned out to be a faulty plug connection. Apparently when the bike is washed while on the side stand - water tends to leak into the connector !!
A bit of silicone spray and a touch of waterproof grease on the rubber gasket and all good for the last year..
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul..

Offline GSLaaitie

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 02:07:38 pm »
I had a similar issue with my bikes left side spot. It turned out to be a faulty plug connection. Apparently when the bike is washed while on the side stand - water tends to leak into the connector !!
A bit of silicone spray and a touch of waterproof grease on the rubber gasket and all good for the last year..

Ah, I was hoping to hear something like that! Will have a look at it later. Fingers crossed.

True story

Offline GSLaaitie

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 01:13:32 pm »
Go and ask. Maybe they see a customer kept if they honor you in some way. Keep it factual. Mention that you took it in for a service there the other day, then happily enjoying your ride you noticed the light went out. It is what it is.
You were right. Took it in over lunch and they sorted it quickly. Apparently the cap was filled with water

True story