Salisbury Plain - 6 August

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lootch67

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Right here goes. Anton met me at my place to drop off some handlebars (thanks!) and we then met Maverick at the Dartford crossing. A little later than planned :oops: Met Faantjie at the Fleet Services and stopped to give our backsides a bit of a rest and get some much needed caffeine and nicotine into our system.

My KLR all ready to go - with new TKCs

1KLRBefore-1.jpg

Anton's Dommie (of sorts) and Maverick's AT

2DommieATBefore-1.jpg

Had a nice chat with some of the guys. Unfortunately some of them couldn't join us but it's always good to meet up.

Maverick, Cie and Faantjie
3Chat.jpg

Bob and friend's AT
4Chat.jpg

So we set off with Bob in the lead. I was really looking forward to riding on the plains with my KLR as I'm quite anxious to find out whether it'll be good enough for the planned trip next year through Kaokoland in Namibia. Unfortunately my new (for me) pegs hadn't arrived yet so I was a bit wary of the KLR's rubber pegs but I thought it wouldn't be too much of a problem since I was expecting the Plains to be pretty dry. Anyway, we get to the first lane and I really chuffed with the KLR. I'd fitted Yen's old AT handlebars so it's very comfortable to stand on the pegs. About half a mile further I go over this little bump and when I came down I realised that my right foot is not on the peg. This leads to some seriously scary moments as I battle across some rough terrain whilst sat down and desperately clinging to the bike and trying to put my foot on the peg so I can stamp on the rear brake as I'm heading straight for a muddy patch with some trees right behind them. I can't find the peg but fortunately manage to keep the bike upright through the mud which slows the bike down sufficiently for me to turn the bike so I don't smash into the trees. At this stage I'm seriously cursing the guy I bought the pegs off as this is the exact reason why I didn't want to go riding with the rubbers KLR pegs. I look down and realise that my foot peg and hanger is missing. Bugger!! I've just done 120 miles to come ride off-road only to have the bike break within the first mile. Anyway, after some serious head scratching we salvage some bolts off Maverick's bike. Unfortunately they're too long but I figured that they'd be alright as long as I don't stand on the pegs.

My pegs after botching them back on. Note the long bolt off the AT

14KLRPeg.jpg

The rest of the day I was a bit frustrating for me as I didn't want to stand on the pegs but I was also aware that the KLR's subframe bolts aren't the strongest. So there I was bouncing around with feet slipping on the rubber pegs waiting for the subframe bolts to break. Did have some fun in a puddle where I got stuck and had trouble starting the bike again. Shortly afterwards the KLR was called upon to drag Mudwiz's TA out of a seriously deep hole, which it did very well.

The KLR did have one more trick up it's sleeve - the rear tyre ripped off the number plate when the suspension bottomed out after a particularly heavy landing. Fortunately Maverick noticed and rode back to pick up the plate. Thanks Bro!

13Whatnoplate.jpg

5WhichWay.jpg

This is going to take a while to clean...
6KLRDirty.jpg

Mudwiz coming through
7Mudwiz.jpg

Maverick's turn
8MavSplash.jpg

Maverick, you're supposed to be ashamed of getting your bike so dirty. In stead you're looking rather smug :lol:
9MavDirty.jpg

No way you're riding the bike out of that one Mudwiz.
10MudwizStuck.jpg

All hands to deck as we replaced Mudwiz's front tyre.
11BobMavFix.jpg

This is how you squeeze 5 bikes into a single parking space.
12TightFit.jpg

Just before the end of the day I dropped the bike when we were riding in some ruts. Fortunately I managed to step off and had a bit of a jog through the field, so no damage to either myself or the bike. Just had some trouble finding the bike in the grass. :lol:

I learned some serious lessens today. The most important thing being that I will have to invest in about 1liter of loc-tite and apply that to every single bolt on the KLR. Still, better to learn that lesson now than in the Kaokoland.

Thanks guys, though I didn't enjoy the ride all that much I have absolutely no complaint about the company :thumbright: Anton, apologies for leaving without waving goodbye. I was almost in tears at that stage - the KLR's seat is no better than the AT's and had to battle across about 7 lanes of traffic to get to the left-hand side tunnel. Glad to see you got back in one piece.

Some more pics here.