Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why you should never ride in the dark  (Read 2629 times)

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • KLR Flip...
    • View Profile
Re: Why you should never ride in the dark
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 05:53:59 pm »
I find riding at night to be one of those things where you are either lucky or not, I have been lucky on the bike for the most part.

I hit a black cow one night inbetween ermelo and piet retief in my bakkie, was a massive impact at 80-90km/h. Have no idea how your friend survived.

I used the driving/riding behind trucks or busses trick for years when driving to and from malawi. I remember one night I was driving south from masvingo in zim with a mahindra with a empty trailer. I was overtaken by a dodgy looking bus, white with delta force painted on the back in blue, so I decided to stick close to it so it clears the road for me. Pretty soon I was driving as fast as the mahindra would go, with the tires squealing around some of the tighter turns, but somehow the bus just kept pulling away. I still dont know what that bus was, but I will never forget that night.
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline volroom

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • I'm loving it
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 06:25:21 pm »
on a lighter note, i saw the subject title, and without thinking thought this was about why you should not test ride a KTM... :laughing4:
2003 R1150GS

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 07:08:35 pm »
We live in the dark, we can just as well ride in the dark.
eberhard
Aggostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Bie

• Local Mods
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Winners never quit, Quitters never win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 07:18:18 pm »
What a coincidence. Never thought you were WD's, so now we have met without knowing. On the entire 140km stretch from Uitenhage to Jansenville you guys hit that cow on the most dangerous 1km stretch. There are always kudu in that area, also bushbuck, waterbuck and warthog always within that 1km danger zone. You can find them anywhere on the 140km stretch, but there you will find them. Glad your mate is ok. Pity I did not know you were WD's.
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 07:20:40 pm »
Bie en sy knipmes het biltong.  :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Bie

• Local Mods
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2018, 07:25:31 pm »
Kyk dit gaan swaar, 3 jaar laas ordentlik gereen, maar ek eet darm nog nie roadkill nie.  :imaposer:
Ek het genoeg koedoes om eerder daar een te vat as om daai een te wil vat, maar ja, ek het by hulle gestop.
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline Bie

• Local Mods
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2018, 08:12:35 pm »
I think the bike knew there was a major problem, and switched on the hazards.. there was a front computer box lying near by..  as soon as the bike stop they went off...

I had spots behind him and I didn't see it coming.. I think because it jumped out of the ditch we didn't see it, but it happen so quick none of us including the rider are really sure what happened..

For that 1km the road it built up, so if a kudu is standing next to the road you will hardly see it. As the vehicle moves, its lights causes the shade to move all the time, even their own shade which moves all the time as the vehicle moves, causing it to veer away from that movement, right into the vehicle's way. Normally they are quite docile in that area, often ride past them without movement, but a troop of bikes might sound different to them, dont know.  What I do know is you have no time to react there, once you see it on the road, it is too late already.
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline Basil959

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2018, 08:20:55 pm »
A Huge.. THANK YOU to Bie..!

I didn't want to be to negative regarding the whole incident, but we stood on the side of the road for over an hour with cars, buses and trucks passing and not one person stopped to check if everything was ok... Bie was the first person..!

Thanks again.... If we muster the courage to come up your way... the beers are on me...

PS: I was the one holding the tourch.. ;)

The following users thanked this post: RobD

Offline Basil959

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2018, 08:23:15 pm »
Bie en sy knipmes het biltong.  :laughing4:

If I remember correctly the farmer with the Knipmes was "Niels Van Schalkwyk" but I could be wrong...

Offline Bie

• Local Mods
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2018, 08:37:11 pm »
That name does not ring a bell. I do know a Pierre v Schalkwyk. Very few farmers would take a kudu like that. I doubt he is really a farmer. Glad I could help and terribly dissapointed in my area's people for not stopping. Lightning never strikes twice, so next time it will be safe.  :thumleft:
Next time, shine straighter.  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:04:11 pm by Bie »
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline DIRT SKUNK

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Hit the road open the throttle
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2018, 08:58:36 pm »
Glad you mate is OK
pity to come all that way and have that happen
next time you're stuck in PE give the dogs a call
DS
Love is? Tarmac, throttle wide open! and the pipes screeming like banshees
understanding "Madness does not always howl! Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey,  theres room in your head for one more?"
Honda 175XL rode, broke, fixed, then sold ;CB900 Bol'd'Or sold; BMW r100T & CB1100XX Super Blackbird

Offline HeeBs

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2018, 06:52:07 pm »
Shame man. A good trip ruined by very bad luck  :(

Ya, my dad lived in PE and when he passed on we went to tie up the estate and arrange the funeral etc. Anyway at the end of the week, I found out that he had left his car to me  :). So Saturday morning we leave 4am for the long drive back to JHB, just  before the sun was starting to rise and the sky goes from black to grey, one of those Zebra / Eland things decided to cross the road. You simply couldn't see it as it blended into the horizon perfectly.

Bang! Newly inherited car in sy moer! Those animals are pretty big  :biggrin:

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2018, 02:45:30 pm »
I hit a kudu at 100 with a bakkie just the other side of Cradock after Daggaboer Farm Stall couple of years ago. Bakkie was a write-off and we barely escaped the kudu coming through the front window. Your mate is incredibly lucky surviving that hit! I now live in the Karoo which this time of the year has Kudu's running wild, as much as I loved driving at night I now hate doing so and avoid it at all costs  :thumleft:
Harry Dunne: According to the map, we've only gone 4 inches.

Offline >>Thump°C

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2018, 03:20:24 pm »
Well done Bie.

A regular Karoo gentleman for okes stuck on that road,

Helped me out as well when My car broke down close to Jansenville last year.
Not only roadside assistance but fed me as well.
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline Ventana

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • De Colores!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2018, 08:10:09 pm »
Couple of years back a colleague was killed in the Natal Midlands when he hit a cow with his Camry....not sure how fast he was going but the roof of the car was down to the headrests......you guys definitely had Someone looking out for you....
"Never look down on anyone, unless you're helping them up"

Offline Retailer

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2018, 06:31:22 am »
I think the bike knew there was a major problem, and switched on the hazards.. there was a front computer box lying near by..  as soon as the bike stop they went off...

I had spots behind him and I didn't see it coming.. I think because it jumped out of the ditch we didn't see it, but it happen so quick none of us including the rider are really sure what happened..

Incredibly lucky.
An explanation of their behavior that made the most sense to me is they look at the oncoming lights, their eyes adjust, they then look away and can't see f-all in the dark. The only ground they can see is the road that's lit up by your headlights, so that's where they jump.
My take on it:
They don't jump into the light because of the area being lit up, it's their own shadow that scare them as it suddenly appears  right next to them, they then try to get away from this threat  and the obvious opposite direction is INTO the light source. Once you see kudu rather kill your lights or at least dim and hoot, they can see and orientate themselves better in the dark.
Glad the ride is OK, he was very lucky indeed. If that kudu jumped, it would have taken him out.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 06:33:35 am by Retailer »

Offline volroom

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • I'm loving it
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2018, 06:35:33 am »

Incredibly lucky.
An explanation of their behavior that made the most sense to me is they look at the oncoming lights, their eyes adjust, they then look away and can't see f-all in the dark. The only ground they can see is the road that's lit up by your headlights, so that's where they jump.
My take on it:
They don't jump into the light because of the area being lit up, it's their own shadow that scare them as it suddenly appears  right next to them, they then try to get away from this threat  and the obvious opposite direction is INTO the light source. Once you see kudu rather kill your lights or at least dim and hoot, they can see and orientate themselves better in the dark.
Glad the ride is OK, he was very lucky indeed. If that kudu jumped, it would have taken him out.

so difficult, the one time you want to use your spots for the reason you put them on and now kudus are aiming for you. I think just don't ride at night if at all possible, and if you do - ride very slowly
2003 R1150GS

Offline Bie

• Local Mods
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2018, 06:46:28 am »
Spots or any other good light helps you see the eyes reflect. Better to watch the sides of the road for eyes and just occasionally glance in the road. The moment you see eyes, dim and slow down. Places where you should be even more vigilant is areas where the road is built up or elevated, like where this accident happened, as you cannot see the eyes of the kudu in the ditch right next to the road. Other areas to watch and slow down is where you have higher vegetation ( usually acasia trees along a stream crossing the road) as the vegetation also makes it impossible to see them before they jump into the road.
Whatever you do, do not rely on oldwives tales like switching on the car's dome light or fitting whistles. You will have a false sense of security.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 06:52:38 am by Bie »
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2018, 08:10:41 am »
Whatever you do, do not rely on oldwives tales like switching on the car's dome light or fitting whistles. You will have a false sense of security.

Bie everyone around Swartberg drive with their hazards on at night, I can't do it as it distracts me from watching the sides of the road the constant flicking on the dash. We had an old timer working at the co-op who sadly passed away recently. I bought a pair of kudu whistles couple of years back and asked "Koos werk die goed vir Kudu's?" He had a very dry manner and not the most talkative person on a till replying "Nog niemand het hulle terug gebring nie"  :biggrin:
Harry Dunne: According to the map, we've only gone 4 inches.

Offline Bie

• Local Mods
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2018, 08:36:55 am »
You know, even the hazards on trick does not make sense to me. If you see a car approaching from the front, especially if your eyes are adapted to dark, as a kudu's would be when you approach it, you will be totally blinded by the headlights and will not even see the hazard lights. Same applies to the interior light by which so many people swear.
Couple of years ago I had to meet a friend on the same road we were travelling on from opposing sides. We agreed to have our hazards on to make ourselves visible to each other. Only after I have passed him did I see the hazards in my rear view mirror. Do not rely on that. Just my 2c, but whatever blows one's hair back.  :thumleft:
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.