Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Re: DR not starting - still not SORTED  (Read 400 times)

Offline shanti

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • rest stop moon
    • derek saul
Re: DR not starting - still not SORTED
« on: September 03, 2018, 07:22:15 am »
Hi all , I seem to have a problem with my bike and I would like to fix it myself if at all possible so am looking for a bit of advice
Background
2013 DR650se with only 4000kms bought last year - side stand and clutch safeties have been properly disconnected following this guide -
&feature=youtu.be
bike is standard with no upgrades or additional electrical components
left the lights on and the battery drained ( was during the day and I hoped off to do some work on the farm and didn't notice I had left it on )
charged the battery overnight
then I tried to start the next day the motor just turns and turns
Checked if there was fuel - yes
Checked for obstructions in air - none
checked for spark - now here is where its interesting --was looking at the spark plugs to check if there is spark , when the tip of the spark plug touches the motor there is no spark , if I take insulated pliers and hold the spark plug away from the motor then a spark jumps to the motor ????? this would then seem when the spark plug is in the motor there will be no spark , I think this is my problem
what should I be checking for next ? I have ordered new spark plugs but this problem is the same for both spark plugs so it seems unlikely that both would fail  ....
Any advice would be most appreciated
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:10:42 am by shanti »

Online Kortbroek

Re: DR not starting
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 07:39:21 am »
When checking for spark I prefer having the side of the plug touching the engine casing.
This sounds a lot like fouled plugs to me. Take some sandpaper and give the electrodes a bit of a clean then using a piece of wire clean around the electrode then check for spark again.

After cleaning maybe rinse with petrol to get rid of any residue.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 07:40:09 am by Kortbroek »
- you reckon that thing will pop a wheelie? We're about to find out, SLAP that pig!

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 07:48:52 am »
when I touch the side of the engine casing with the spark plugs there doesn't seem to be any spark , when I hold it a bit away from the casing I get a spark that travels from the top of the electrode to the casing , same with both the spark plugs, will go and clean and sand them again - starting to doubt myself , update in 30mins 

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul
Re: DR not starting - SORTED
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 08:11:43 am »
thank you for your time in answering , ya you are right , I left the bike again on charge last night and I just put a hair dryer into the spark plug holes to dry things - then I properly cleaned the spark plugs and sanded them down with a rougher grit sandpaper than what I used over the weekend , cleaned them again properly , she started up first time , I feel a bit sheepish but it works now , I have ordered new plugs and will replace them when they get here ,
Thank you !

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 08:15:36 am »
I think your battery might be suspect. If it's old, you might want to replace it before it drops you miles from home in the veld somewhere.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 10:14:59 am »
Started the bike this morning no problem , it was cold so had the choke on , rode down to a farm building and parked the bike , thought I would let it idle for a while while I turned pumps on , pulled the choke back to normal and immediately the bike stalled . Didn't think much, thought the bike was still cold , its only 300m from my house to the pump building . After 10 mins sorting the pump out tried to start the bike , nada , same problem as before - motor swings but no fire , left the bike there as I have work to do , assume its the same issue , will have to clean the spark plugs again to get her to work I think , what can the problem be ?

Offline Alphat

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 03:14:26 pm »
I've experienced a similar problem on an older thumper before, turned out to be a fault on the CDI causing intermittent spark.
Also, have you managed to replace the sparkplug? Carbon buildup on the centre electrode can result in shorting and no spark and it hard to clean effectively.
Ride, Crash, Fix, Repeat

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 03:25:47 pm »
My guess is a faulty rectifier  :scratch:

After a few years they sometimes get corrosion on the contact points and then the current becomes intermittent

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 03:27:21 pm by Operator »

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 03:40:27 pm »
Started the bike this morning no problem , it was cold so had the choke on , rode down to a farm building and parked the bike , thought I would let it idle for a while while I turned pumps on , pulled the choke back to normal and immediately the bike stalled . Didn't think much, thought the bike was still cold , its only 300m from my house to the pump building . After 10 mins sorting the pump out tried to start the bike , nada , same problem as before - motor swings but no fire , left the bike there as I have work to do , assume its the same issue , will have to clean the spark plugs again to get her to work I think , what can the problem be ?
Just to clarify.  Did you leave the bike idling on choke the whole time?  If so, it would be seriously fouled.

Just fit a new spark plug.  It is almost impossible to clean a old plug reliably.
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline shanti

• rest stop moon
    • derek saul
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 07:08:14 pm »
Thank you , Katana no I turned the choke off and the bike stalled 10 mins or so later I  then tried to start again , I do think its my spark plugs - well I hope as the other problems are expensive and difficult to check unless I have another Dr to swop parts out with . I Cleaned the spark plugs again with a tooth brush and she started up again but later on same issue .. I have ordered spark plugs - pretty rare things , mine are coming from JHB should get them next week so then I can either rule them out or be happy , thank you all for your time in replying I will let you know the result next week

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 07:10:15 pm by shanti »

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 01:20:47 pm »
Thank you , Katana no I turned the choke off and the bike stalled 10 mins or so later I  then tried to start again , I do think its my spark plugs - well I hope as the other problems are expensive and difficult to check unless I have another Dr to swop parts out with . I Cleaned the spark plugs again with a tooth brush and she started up again but later on same issue .. I have ordered spark plugs - pretty rare things , mine are coming from JHB should get them next week so then I can either rule them out or be happy , thank you all for your time in replying I will let you know the result next week
My ace in the whole rare plug related is Diesel Electric in Montague Gardens, ask for Anton - Kawaki on here.

I just bought a BMW R65.  It had intermittent spark on the one pot - tracked it down to the sparkplug cap - just a thought - never had one fail before...
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 04:55:32 pm »
 :sip:
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660