Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Shaun Dickens - Bike Sellers Beware  (Read 37043 times)

Offline Bliknęrs

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • I never finish anyth
Re: Name and shame
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2020, 12:58:44 pm »
I sold a bakkie and was a bit lazy so when I took the yellow form a week late, the buyer has already registered the vehicle without it.

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2020, 01:21:52 pm »
Just the sales letter?

Yes, this letter is VERY confusing.

Who the hell is LV Zaaiman?  According to the letter, the bike was not purchased from Ronnie De Sot, although in the OP he states it is his bike.  The registration number is also not valid.  That is the vehicle register number, which is exactly the same as all other bikes of the same model.

There is absolutely no link between this letter and Ronnie's bike.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 01:24:54 pm by Jughead »
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline Grunder

« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2020, 01:28:57 pm »
Just the sales letter?

Who the hell is LV Zaaiman?  According to the letter, the bike was not purchased from Ronnie De Sot, although in the OP he states it is his bike.  The registration number is also not valid.  That is the vehicle register number, which is exactly the same as all other bikes of the same model.

Let's say this document was valid, surely the the seller would also have to sign it  :patch:

NC700 F800GS

Offline Jughead

• Forum Whore
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2020, 01:34:30 pm »
Let's say this document was valid, surely the the seller would also have to sign it  :patch:

Not necessarily.  If I purchase something from you and you issue me with a receipt, you sign the receipt, not me.

Online Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2020, 01:40:43 pm »
There is clearly a problem regarding the registration of change of ownership of used vehicles which is promoting vehicle theft.

A Toyota Hilux bakkie was stolen in Gauteng.  Less than a week later, the vehicle was spotted by the legal owner driving around near to where it was stolen.
He blocked in the vehicle when it parked at a builder supply and called the police.
When they arrived, the driver claimed he had bought it legally from a dealer in Quaqua and showed a receipt from the day before.
The legal owner still had the registration certificate in his possession.

The vehicle theft unit investigation showed the bakkie was stolen on a Monday, registered in KZN the same day, re-registered in E.Cape a day later, re-registered in F.State the day after and then re-registered again in Gauteng on the Friday morning - all under new license plate numbers. The odometer on the bakkie showed that the vehicle had not travelled more than 200kms since being stolen, so the vehicle was never inspected by any registration officials during the process.
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2020, 01:47:32 pm »
Edited for stating the obvious

« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 01:49:59 pm by Kaboef »
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Jughead

• Forum Whore
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2020, 01:59:55 pm »
The vehicle theft unit investigation showed the bakkie was stolen on a Monday, registered in KZN the same day, re-registered in E.Cape a day later, ...

First and only port of call for the police, if they were actually competent enough to do their jobs, would be to visit whoever registered it in KZN (this being the person behind the counter).  They (whoever stole it) obviously has a contact there that registers vehicle for them (at a price) without the original documentation.  Change of ownership (I do it often) can only be done on presentation of the original registration docs.

Once the fucker in KZN has done the registration, they now have a valid registration document, so all the other transactions are (in theory) valid.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 02:10:24 pm by Jughead »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2020, 02:10:56 pm »
The "signing" change of Ownership form is useless.

On all my bikes and cars that Ive sold, never once did I have to sign one. Dealer sommer signs on my behalf when they sell the vehicles.

It can be signed by anybody. I mean, who at Licence department checks Signatures.....

True story
I may or may not also have bought a vehicle from mr Manic where he signed nothing

signed nothing with his own hand that is....
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2020, 02:15:52 pm »
The "signing" change of Ownership form is useless.

On all my bikes and cars that Ive sold, never once did I have to sign one. Dealer sommer signs on my behalf when they sell the vehicles.

It can be signed by anybody. I mean, who at Licence department checks Signatures.....

True story
I may or may not also have bought a vehicle from mr Manic where he signed nothing

signed nothing with his own hand that is....

Ek teken fokkol as my Prokureur nie saam is nie  :imaposer:

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2020, 02:21:26 pm »
Once the fucker in KZN has done the registration, they now have a valid registration document, so all the other transactions are (in theory) valid.

It also takes care of the actual owner's name  not showing up on the new reg document as that has scrolled off the bottom due to the last 3 registrations

I work in IT and I think the principle is the same everywhere: Any system is only as secure as the people who work with it.
That bakkie's multiple rergistrations has got to be an inside job
I suppose it is very easy to have a colleague's password and when he/she's not there to log in and reprint a registration document and then continue from there.

Years ago I had an issue with a car - it was standing for almost 3 months and then when I went to renew the license they told me it was exported to Zimbabwe and not on my name anymore.
Luckily I had someone who still cared behind the counter, but she could find zero traces of the transactions, so they reversed it all, but still (I am still wondering what benefit it was to have the paperwork done like that - maybe they used it to move another (stolen) car of the same brand/colour across the border)

Also a couple of years ago there was an issue with someone in Vodacom and Absa working together
The guy in Absa will get the details of a client, send it to the guy at Vodacom. The Vodacom guy will do a 'sim swap'. Absa guy creates beneficiary, Vodacom guy gets the OTP, Absa guy does a transfer, Vodacom guy swaps sim back and the client doesn't even know what has happened up to where he checks his balance.

If you are criminally inclined and you have a system where you can register/re register any vehicle at your fingertips I wonder how long it will take before you start falling for extramural ways to supplement your salary.

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2020, 02:54:57 pm »
Ek teken fokkol as my Prokureur nie saam is nie  :imaposer:

Fyn brag  ;)  :lol8:

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2020, 02:58:47 pm »
So waaroor gaan die thread nou eintlik ?  Bike is verkoop en verkoper het sy geld gekry.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Jughead

• Forum Whore
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2020, 03:01:17 pm »

That bakkie's multiple rergistrations has got to be an inside job

Only the first one in KZN needs to be an inside job.  All the other can be done by anyone, since there is now "valid" paperwork for the vehicle.

Years ago I had an issue with a car - it was standing for almost 3 months and then when I went to renew the license they told me it was exported to Zimbabwe and not on my name anymore.

A number of years ago here in PE there was a case with one of my colleagues.  He went to renew the vehicle license (still at the traffic dept).  The cashier asked him for the proxy letter from the owner.  He was confused, produced his ID and informed her that the car was outside and he was the owner.  She said no, he wasn't, and that the vehicle had been re-registered 3 days prior to someone else.

Cut a long story short, he had to hide the vehicle away until all was sorted.  Insider changes the registration to the "new owner".  Not a problem, as the vehicle has not been reported stolen.  A few days later they come to "collect" your car.  The catch is at this point, you cannot even report it as stolen, since it is not longer your car.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 03:01:56 pm by Jughead »

Offline Rouxman

« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2020, 03:03:27 pm »
So waaroor gaan die thread nou eintlik ?  Bike is verkoop en verkoper het sy geld gekry.

Modus operandi.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actions express priorities - Gandhi

Offline WannaBeJoe

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Are ya gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?!
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2020, 03:26:12 pm »
My brother-in-law had a car stolen and also spotted it some time later traveling on the N1 towards Cape Town. Called the police who asked him to shadow the vehicle until he gets passed by police car. All went down as planned and car gets pulled over by police and poor guy behind the wheel in total state of panic. Turns out he has legal papers for the car and bought it from a 2nd hand dealership. The big issue according to the police was that once a car is reported as stolen it gets flagged or registered by the police on a database and literally two or three people in the police have the authority to remove a car from that database. So clearly a high-level inside job. He never heard what if anything happened as surely the person who pulled the car off the list could be traced via login and password. Don't even know if the current "owner"lost the car or not.

This was some years ago so do not know what the current system with regards to a car reported as stolen is.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Previous bikes:
Honda CB750K aka Koue Anna
KLR650

Offline Die Malletjie

• Vendor
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Behind every bearded man stands a tattooed girl!
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2020, 05:57:30 pm »
Quote"

There is absolutely no link between this letter and Ronnie's bike." unquote

It is my bike or rather ours, LV Zaayman is my better half. Regarding the registration number, no fucking idea!
I am doing it today, maybe there is no tomorrow

Offline Dux

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2020, 06:39:37 pm »
Just the sales letter?

Small correction , the Vehicle Register Number is issued by NaTIS upon first registration in the country and stays with the bike it’s whole life .
The NaTIS code is given to a model range of bike once it has been tested and certified with NaTIS , so all bikes in a model range will have the same number , if there is a discernible change in a model range then it gets a new number .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Dux

« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2020, 06:53:34 pm »
My brother sold his car , funds in his account , next day funds are gone so he reports car as stolen . A week later they find the car , within 30 hours the car had gone through 4 changes of ownership , which is also not allowed , a vehicle may only be registered once in a day , if it happens more than once then it will trigger an alarm with the staff member at the licensing department . The vehicle was eventually sold ‘ legally ‘ to an innocent buyer who was nailed when he went to license it .
Aftermath was that brother eventually got his car back , a few months later . The first four changes of ownership happened at the same teller , she was arrested , gave the names of other guys and a bunch of them were imprisoned .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square

Offline WannaBeJoe

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Are ya gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?!
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2020, 08:56:20 pm »
My brother sold his car , funds in his account , next day funds are gone so he reports car as stolen . A week later they find the car , within 30 hours the car had gone through 4 changes of ownership , which is also not allowed , a vehicle may only be registered once in a day , if it happens more than once then it will trigger an alarm with the staff member at the licensing department . The vehicle was eventually sold ‘ legally ‘ to an innocent buyer who was nailed when he went to license it .
Aftermath was that brother eventually got his car back , a few months later . The first four changes of ownership happened at the same teller , she was arrested , gave the names of other guys and a bunch of them were imprisoned .

Tsk, tsk, tsk ...... you mean "the person" was arrested. You have been called out buddy. Enough with this sexist crap!
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Previous bikes:
Honda CB750K aka Koue Anna
KLR650

Offline Dux

« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2020, 09:47:28 pm »

Tsk, tsk, tsk ...... you mean "the person" was arrested. You have been called out buddy. Enough with this sexist crap!

Guilty as charged your honor , how could I be so thoughtless of its feelings   :lol8:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
Unit 6 Viben square