Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tricky Licensing question  (Read 607 times)

Offline Guido

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
Tricky Licensing question
« on: October 15, 2021, 04:00:46 pm »
Good day Dogs,

I am in a bit of a predicament. I agreed to buy a bike from an acquaintance that has been stuck outside the country since the start of lockdown 2020, doesn’t seem like he will be back here anytime soon. He financed the bike when he bought it. Subsequently he has paid it off, letter from MFC as well as the certified copy of the person at mfc that handled the transaction I have, this was actually done in October 2019. The problem, he never re registered the bike into his name once it was paid off, so I now cannot register it in my name, because as far as the transport department knows, the bank owns the bike. I need a solution to this. I have now made arrangements to have him sign a change of ownership form, and I will submit the paperwork on his behalf( through a paid connection of course) my question, would there be a fine for not changing the ownership? His licence is paid up until 2022, so he has kept up to date with that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Guido

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
Re: Tricky Licensing question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 04:17:30 pm »
Yes
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Online chicco

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Never give up.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 07:56:23 pm »
Hi Gerrard, please explain. I bought a caravan from a gentleman who also immigrated and he never changed in his name after it was paid up, I had to get paperwork couriered and shit load of time at the license department but the only fines I paid was for the licence arrears if I remember correctly. this was a couple of years ago and not sure if things has changed.
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 950S, KTM 990, KTM 990S, KTM 990R

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 08:15:04 pm »
You have 21 days to do registration once change change of ownership is done. In this case from bank to seller. That yellow form os datestamped. You as new buyer might have to pick up the penalty if they allow the double transaction. All depends who is behind the counter
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Online Beebop

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 07:18:27 pm »
I bought a car about 14 years ago through Wesbank. The car was registered in my name, but the title is held by the bank.
I settled it after 5 years and they sent me the yellow doc signed by a bank employee. I never changed the title until I
wanted to sell it a few months ago. I just went to a roadworthy place filled in the docs, paid R400 odd and 3 days later
picked up the new registration papers with me as title holder.. Unless this is different in other provinces, its not a problem at all.

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 07:36:22 pm »
The bank must transfer title to your mate.
Then your mate must sell it to you.
Two transactions with a roadworthy in between.
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.
I do not intend to attend every argument I am invited to.
I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Online Bike_Buddies

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 08:08:14 pm »
Hand it over to one of the "Q-4-U" type of businesses ...

They will sort it out ....

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 07:45:59 am »
You have 21 days to do registration once change change of ownership is done. In this case from bank to seller. That yellow form os datestamped. You as new buyer might have to pick up the penalty if they allow the double transaction. All depends who is behind the counter

Strictly speaking Gerrard is correct that there will be a penalty for late re-registration because more than 21 days has elapsed since the date on the settlement letter from the bank and the date you are going to submit for re-registration

BUT

The penalty is tiny ...I do not see it being more than R100 over the R240 re-registration fee

The maximum penalty for late re-registration is equal to re-reg fee ...so if it is 10 years late then the penalty will be R240 plus the re-reg fee R240 = R480

The important thing in this case is that the licence is still valid because transfer cannot be effected if the licence is expired

PS - I do this for a living - sorting out people's kak on Natis
The older I get the faster I was

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 01:31:53 pm »
THanks JustBendIt....almost had me considering to drop my lazyness and go register my car...

been a year, another year now doesnt sound to bad!

But, is this necessary at all?
I have sold a car (paid up 3 years prior, not reregistered in my name) and the garage/salesman transferred ownership without it going to my name first
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 02:44:11 pm »
THanks JustBendIt....almost had me considering to drop my lazyness and go register my car...

been a year, another year now doesnt sound to bad!

But, is this necessary at all?
I have sold a car (paid up 3 years prior, not reregistered in my name) and the garage/salesman transferred ownership without it going to my name first

I presume they had a copy of your ID that you gave them with the registration certificate and the bank settlement letter

I bet they re registered In your name Without telling you so you were both owner And title holder on registration certificate and then they re registered to new owner

I do this all the time

The  way the Natis  system Is written / programmed is that it will not allow a re registration to a new owner if the current title holder AND owner are 2 different entities ... ie bank is title holder and you are owner

OR

In cases where you have a vehicle that is still currently financed and you trade it in at a dealership then the dealer settles the outstanding finance and the bank issues settlement letter with specific instruction to natis office to re register the vehicle into the dealership name
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 03:15:54 pm by JustBendIt »

The following users thanked this post: m0lt3n

Offline Guido

• Pack Dog
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 11:53:39 am »
Thanks for all the responses. An update for those interested. The vehicle was transferred into his name, then immediately into mine. As the license was paid up to date, there was no fine👍

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 12:01:31 pm »
Thanks for all the responses. An update for those interested. The vehicle was transferred into his name, then immediately into mine. As the license was paid up to date, there was no fine👍

Excellent !!!

Offline petri oosthuizen

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 04:04:17 pm »

Do you have the Original Natis, stating you as both Title Holder and Owner?
XT 600 Tenere

Offline Guido

• Pack Dog
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2021, 04:12:27 pm »

Do you have the Original Natis, stating you as both Title Holder and Owner?

Yes I do

The following users thanked this post: petri oosthuizen