Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The future of DS riding. Are we destroying it?  (Read 2253 times)

Offline lecap

Re: The future of DS riding. Are we destroying it?
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2010, 07:32:04 am »
How can you ride quads through the cederberg? Its a public road! Do you see quads on the N2?

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

...and, as well. My tool supplier have been doing 4x4 camping trips for 20 odd years. His words to me: when you find a nice spot, tell no one (difficult), because tomorrow it's in Getaway and the next time you go there...well, you get the picture.

Went to places like the Cederberg, Baviaans and Die Hel in times when "Adventure bikes" were not invented yet and people asked me why I ride around on a farm bike and don't get myself a decent GSXR or Fireblade ::)

Some of the "old" places I visit on a regular basis and might not be too aware of the gradual changes but with The Hel it was six years between visits (2001 - 2007) and while some changes were positive (upgraded & staffed camp site) others - while probably still in the general visitors best interest - displeased me (Gamkaskloof Kiosk having evolved into a fully blown restaurant & gift shop, abandoned farms in the valley bought up & developed).
I wonder if I should dare to go to Baviaans, my last visit was in December 2002 ???

The West Coast road from Dwarskersbos to Elandsbaai not long ago a corrugated sandy stretch of desolation is now a smooth band of tarmac. Once they fix the last six kilometres into Lambertsbaai you'll have HOG Cape Town thundering up the coast to LB for Sunday lunch. Yes it's their bloody right to do it and I see the benefit of tar roads for the local exconomy but I still don't like it for myself.
Pakhuis Pass tarred already? Pearly Beach to Stuisbaai apparently is next? The road to Kosi Bay? And Sani?...

Go there while you can and while it's still nice.

I still remember roads like Monte Capatone (sp.?) & (the old) Passo di Tremalzo from my days in Europe, DS heaven within half a days ride from my home in Munich. Now all illegal, you're lucky if you're still allowed on the old military roads with a MTB.
To find some (legal) dirt you now have to go to Romania, northern Finland and Russia. Farked up by the hooligans with plastic bikes & DS bikers who raced (& crashed), made noise and pissed off all other visitors rather than touring & enjoying the scenery.

Expect the same here, enjoy it while you can. It will not last.

The best possible scenario is DS riding going out of fashion like all those other trends ideally before the Akra & Penta racing fraction have farked it up for all.

My bike is quiet and is less likely to offend a land owner or chase an ostrich into a fence than a noisy one.
If you feel you need to have that racing sound be aware that you're helping to dig your own DS riding grave. And don't give me that "oh but I tap off when I go past the farm house" crap.

Enjoy it while you can.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2010, 07:50:58 am »
They tar gravel and in return let tar return to gravel in some instances, maybe we'll have a win win situation?
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2010, 08:51:02 am »
Good point/s made there LeCap.

I can't help adding this; you get guys that have no shortage of money but behave sensibly (with all their bling), but a lot have this false security syndrome and kark attitude which is giving the general DS bike fraternity a bad name. One good example; don’t you know some guys who once were humble and pleasant while riding an old KLR or DR200, but since they went up the corporate ladder and invested in a expensive bike along came the ‘almighty’ attitude…? 

Ok please guys – this was just an example, please do enjoy your expensive DS bikes sensibly!

forex618

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2010, 09:07:16 am »
One good example; don’t you know some guys who once were humble and pleasant while riding an old KLR or DR200, but since they went up the corporate ladder and invested in a expensive bike along came the ‘almighty’ attitude…? 

Hey how did you know - that's me  :thumleft: Talk about attitude - I have it in bagfulls  :thumleft:

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2010, 09:11:47 am »
Remember this one...guy riding a stock Sten Demo?

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=38835.20

'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline badballie

• Macum Amicum Est
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • www.bikersagainstdrugs.co.za
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2010, 10:24:43 am »
Interesting topic. In part I agree with the sentiments and also that we need to "protect" our right to take our DS bikes on gravel and off road.

Notice though I mentioned right - not privilege .......... yes exactly - we pay for our toys, we pay taxes and we pay lic fees and umpteen other taxes etc as well .................but because it is seen as a pastime - our right may be taken away from us in various venues - whilst locals whom does not pay a thing towards anything - may desecrate the land a few kms away !!!!

Somehow environmental protection does not extent to them ? Not only poor locals - what about big corporates with industrial/mining/agricultural activities ?

What about the rich and housing developments in parks areas ?

Case in point - Zimbali - declared an eco estate - whilst million rand development and houses are being put up destroying 90% of the coastal land it is built on - putting up a few, "be careful of animal" signs to sooth the bunny huggers and imposing a speed limit.

The irony being that before the development started - pieces of coastal area like that were being closed of to bikes and 4x4's for damaging it - a few tracks and spoors - compared to almost total destruction in the name of development and called ECO !!!!!

One of our riding spots here have just been totally destroyed - turned from a few tracks in the hills to acres of low cost housing - also after bunny huggers accused offroaders of damaging the environment - now those same people are applauding the housing development

So although two wrongs do not make a right - my point of view is it is way to easy for landowners, environmentalists and governing bodies to jump on the bandwagon when it comes to recreational activities and accusing people of damaging the environment - whilst turning a blind eye when social or monetary issues are involved!

And besides - why do we ride ? To conform and to be part of the same everyday rules and regulations ?

No we ride cause we need to be free and a little rebellious at the same time .......

So I will abide by common sense and courtesy as well as a motto to not destroy nature unnecessary - but I will never subscribe to over regulation - they wanna close all the riding areas - then there will be a challenge to see how far we can push the envelope.

As for a voice from the off road community to speak up for ourselves and lobby against legislation - dream on - DS dont like quads dont like 4 x 4 dont like plastics and vice versa - we will never be able to "unite" thus never have a voice

The only voice we have ? Comes out of an Akro !!!!

Cash, Gas or Ass............ no-one rides for free :-)

I did it because I can, I can because I want to and I want to because you said that I couldn't !!!!!!!

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2010, 10:54:33 am »
Interesting topic. In part I agree with the sentiments and also that we need to "protect" our right to take our DS bikes on gravel and off road.

Notice though I mentioned right - not privilege .......... yes exactly - we pay for our toys, we pay taxes and we pay lic fees and umpteen other taxes etc as well .................but because it is seen as a pastime - our right may be taken away from us in various venues - whilst locals whom does not pay a thing towards anything - may desecrate the land a few kms away !!!!

Somehow environmental protection does not extent to them ? Not only poor locals - what about big corporates with industrial/mining/agricultural activities ?

What about the rich and housing developments in parks areas ?

Case in point - Zimbali - declared an eco estate - whilst million rand development and houses are being put up destroying 90% of the coastal land it is built on - putting up a few, "be careful of animal" signs to sooth the bunny huggers and imposing a speed limit.

The irony being that before the development started - pieces of coastal area like that were being closed of to bikes and 4x4's for damaging it - a few tracks and spoors - compared to almost total destruction in the name of development and called ECO !!!!!

One of our riding spots here have just been totally destroyed - turned from a few tracks in the hills to acres of low cost housing - also after bunny huggers accused offroaders of damaging the environment - now those same people are applauding the housing development

So although two wrongs do not make a right - my point of view is it is way to easy for landowners, environmentalists and governing bodies to jump on the bandwagon when it comes to recreational activities and accusing people of damaging the environment - whilst turning a blind eye when social or monetary issues are involved!

And besides - why do we ride ? To conform and to be part of the same everyday rules and regulations ?

No we ride cause we need to be free and a little rebellious at the same time .......

So I will abide by common sense and courtesy as well as a motto to not destroy nature unnecessary - but I will never subscribe to over regulation - they wanna close all the riding areas - then there will be a challenge to see how far we can push the envelope.

As for a voice from the off road community to speak up for ourselves and lobby against legislation - dream on - DS dont like quads dont like 4 x 4 dont like plastics and vice versa - we will never be able to "unite" thus never have a voice

The only voice we have ? Comes out of an Akro !!!!

Not really constructive. With all respect.

Your anger is vented at both "rich housing estates" (always the soft target for the citizens of Moral Heights) and "low cost housing". So do you suggest people stop breeding so there is no shortage of housing?

IMHO that has sweet FA to do with the issue at hand.

The issue at hand is responsible behaviour.

Talking about DS riding is like talking about "coloured people" - both are very broad terms that refer to people of different backgrounds, 'cultures' and behaviour. There are so many different types of bikes and types of riding as to make such a term almost meaningless. IMHO the problem lies less with the Africa Twin/GSA/Varadero/KLR crowd than with the "Ready to Race"/950SE/690Adv/HP2 crowd.

It's about intended application. As a HP2 owner I am aware of my actions (maybe not always, but I try to be mostly) and its consequences.

I can bet you that the type of riding someone like Trailrider does will never offend any landowner. However, I have seen forum members here doing their best to imitate Dakar sections or Erzberg - on land that does not belong to them. And yes, they give offence.

Don't shift the blame to 'greenies', 'golf estate developers', 'the ANC', 'the Illuminati', 'Ammway' or Luke Watson. Do some soul searching and take responsibility for your own actions.

That's what grown ups do.
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline GRUNT

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2010, 11:00:48 am »
 :imaposer:Agree with Jaco, but can't we blame the ANC anyway?
I am pure Krogan,you should be in awe!

Offline TerrorSA

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Autoland PE - William Moffett Exp
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2010, 11:13:28 am »
If its a public road - use it, you paying for it  :thumleft:

If its a private road - not yours to use, so stay away from private land  :deal:

I ride a DS bike so that i can explore areas that I don't go to in my Audi  :mwink:

And for the guys putting up gates on public roads instead of using fencing to camp off your game farm, that road stays a public road, so don't moan when we use it  :lamer:   
Truimph Tiger 800 XCX
Yamaha XT660R

forex618

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2010, 11:16:15 am »

I ride a DS bike so that i can explore areas that I don't go to in my Audi  :mwink:

You told me you had a 1992 City Golf :imaposer:

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2010, 11:17:19 am »
well put, Jacko; a 'loud' pipe, in some (not all) cases, goes together with a certain 'here I am, here me roar!' attitude, meaning that a loud pipe is more than just noise, it translates into 'attitude', again, not in all cases.
bike@flyingbrick.co.za CHRISTOPER L 021 510 6455  service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455
sales@flyingbrick.co.za ANDRE 021 510 6455
orders@flyingbrick.co.za WERNER 021 510 6455
info@flyingbrick.co.za CHRIS G

Offline TerrorSA

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Autoland PE - William Moffett Exp
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2010, 11:30:13 am »

You told me you had a 1992 City Golf :imaposer:

red/yellow/blue type with akropovics  :imaposer:
Truimph Tiger 800 XCX
Yamaha XT660R

Offline Wolweseun

• Forum Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • VannieBaai
    • Bikes n Bits
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2010, 11:45:20 am »
interesting

Must say I am guilty of occasionally riding fast and dont claim to be a model citizen

However I try not to annoy people and am especially careful in sensitive areas
If i go in an area that I am not allowed i do not post it on the forum and I do not race around like a fool
on a number of occasions I have asked people not to post reports about riding in the Longmore forest
I also know a few areas I dont tell anyone about and wont give a gps file either

On the issue of quads 90% of people on quads are idiots IMHO and usually 50% dont have a helmet and if I was a big land owner the sign would say "NO QUADS"
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 11:45:53 am by Wolweseun »
"Life is like a penis - simple, relaxed and hanging free...

it's women who make it hard"

www.bikesnbits.co.za

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2010, 11:47:27 am »
:imaposer:Agree with Jaco, but can't we blame the ANC anyway?

Hmmmkay. Ja, fok die ANC.  :biggrin:
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2010, 11:54:38 am »
Nee PG ek is 'n entoesiastiese DS biker in die Suid Kaap en ek sien wat is besig om te gebeur in die DS hemel van ons.

Ek kom wel van 'n plaas af. Ek besef sommige jaag verby sonder om te besef wat hulle doen, maar as mens mense kan attent maak daarop dat hulle skade aanrig luister 1 of 2 dalk...

Sommige dink dalk nou dis simpel. Dis daai selfde ouens wat kak en kou as die paaie toe gemaak word.
Stem heeltemal saam :thumleft:
Daar is drie goed wat n volstruis se klein breintjie nie verstaan bike,quad en n bicycle. Shitscared of them!!
In the SC and Klein Karoo we have lots of them. You do NOT have to go slow on the whole road, but when you see
them just tap off please. Just untill youre past them for 200-300meters. If everyone does this the farmers will notice
and the attidude will change. I should know I used to farm with them :biggrin:
The Ostrichfarmers are having difficult times at the moment. They do not need more losses because of noisy ,speeding bikes.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Buks

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2010, 12:08:18 pm »
Seems to me the majority vote goes towards:
1.   Ban loud pipes!
2.   Try to behave and leave your attitude at home.
3.   Stay away from private land.
4.   Try to free-wheel past ostrich camps  :3some:
Well, that's what i try, plus, be friendly and greet everybody you pass next to the road....and also fellow bikers riding bikes you actually hate. :biggrin:
And maybe the "Ride Report" section is not such a good idea, well personally i stay away from that. I guess to survive in this game one must be a little secretive and selfish  :peepwall:
So I'm NOT telling you where i took this picture, nor what happened..... :mwink:
Oh and statements like the following is really short-sited and childish!!!:
On the issue of quads 90% of people on quads are idiots IMHO and usually 50% dont have a helmet and if I was a big land owner the sign would say "NO QUADS"

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2010, 12:10:02 pm »
Seems to me the majority vote goes towards:
1.   Ban loud pipes!
2.   Try to behave and leave your attitude at home.
3.   Stay away from private land.
4.   Try to free-wheel past ostrich camps  :3some:
Well, that's what i try, plus, be friendly and greet everybody you pass next to the road....and also fellow bikers riding bikes you actually hate. :biggrin:
And maybe the "Ride Report" section is not such a good idea, well personally i stay away from that. I guess to survive in this game one must be a little secretive and selfish  :peepwall:
So I'm NOT telling you where i took this picture, nor what happened..... :mwink:
Oh and statements like the following is really short-sited and childish!!!:

I am offended by the Orange script....

forex618

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2010, 12:10:47 pm »
Is that you lying on your jetski, Buks?  :peepwall:

Offline BOER!

• is 'n GS neersletterende
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2010, 12:12:03 pm »
In the words of Ozzy Osbourne:

Sometimes, some fish eats cheese.

Roughly translated:  Some Fish that eats cheese, will only do so some of the time.  Meaning there is no constant or uniform pattern.

Same goes with bikers.  Some behave, some don't. Sometimes, even those that behave step over the line and piss people off.  Some people get pissed off easily, some don't.  Some with loud pipes drive by slowly, some with muted pipes behave like hooligans.  Some do both.

So:  Sometimes, some fish eat cheese.  ;)
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Everybody falls off. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2010, 12:13:25 pm »
In the words of Ozzy Osbourne:

Sometimes, some fish eats cheese.

Roughly translated:  Some Fish that eats cheese, will only do so some of the time.  Meaning there is no constant or uniform pattern.

Same goes with bikers.  Some behave, some don't. Sometimes, even those that behave step over the line and piss people off.  Some people get pissed off easily, some don't.  Some with loud pipes drive by slowly, some with muted pipes behave like hooligans.  Some do both.

So:  Sometimes, some fish eat cheese.  ;)
I could'nt have not said it any better ;D