Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New Triumph 800 test ride  (Read 4654 times)

Offline S - 4 - B

• Fulltime MotardNut
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • I can't say no to Italian Hussies....
Re: New Triumph 800 test ride
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2011, 05:18:00 pm »
Dis soos om NEE te se vir 'n mooi vrou terwyl jou hele lyf hunker dat dit kark!!!!!!

Ons sal sien hoe lank jy uithou....onthou net , die verskonings raak minder :pot:
word daai arm nie seer van die pot stirr nie? hoekom vat jy nie daai baster bike van jou en toets a volbloed nie? :pot:

As jy nie so blerrie bang was om my flerrie te ry nie , so jy agtergekom het hoekom ek haar hou...sy kla nooit...anyway , as ek nuwe bike koop , hoe betaal ek my drank rekening daarna????

Maar jy is reg , ek sal ophou om Deon te treiter...eks net jaloers  :3some:
Don't blame me for the name ....I was bullied into into it by J-Dog.....
"Change your name or ride a KTM"  he said , I changed my name !!!!

Hooligan Tools - Triumph Street Triple                                                                           Beta Evo 250 Trials

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2011, 06:08:07 pm »
agenee nous hulle klaar  :dousing:

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline Berty77

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Africa Twin = GROOT KLR
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2011, 10:51:50 pm »
Waars die links na die mees onlakse toetse??
Skaap tjops, Lammie se kerrie wors en Klein Karoo sterre;
dis mos die lewe!

Offline GIDEON

« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2011, 08:33:05 am »
As jy seriously wil weet om te wil weet en nie te wil moan nie kan ek vir jou dit gee :biggrin:

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2011, 08:39:42 am »
As jy seriously wil weet om te wil weet en nie te wil moan nie kan ek vir jou dit gee :biggrin:
:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:vatso!

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Offline Berty77

« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2011, 05:32:33 pm »
Wat? ???
Skies, ek dag dis n serious "Truimgh 800 test" report thread.
 :-\
dis mos die lewe!

Offline J3THRO

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Yzerfontein WC
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2011, 07:37:11 pm »
Took the XC rom Mike Hopkins for a spin today:

Yes she does look like the 800GS but in real life it does not look all that smular than it does on the pics. She definately feels very light and well balanced ; awesome gear changing ,very smooth ; runs very quiet and the brakes felt fantastic.

She lacked grunt low down almost like she comes alive only @ 6000 +rpm ; the handles were a bit low for me (I am 1.83m) ; it felt like a very long bike and I almost felt sorry for it like you would when you get onto a new cruiser or superbike.

In general I suppose if you spent some mula on extras like exhaust, tyres, bash plate, crash bars and bar risers the bike will do well offroad, but I do not think she is gonna have what it takes stock standard. Keep in mind what Triumph wants to compete with, the GS 800 and the Katooms are virtualy bullet proof off the showroom floor. Sooo if you wanna bark with the big dogs...

Thanks to Mark @ Mike Hopkins for letting us take her out and also giving me a spin on his giant 2300cc Rocket never felt anything like that before
DO NOT FOLLOW WHERE THE PATH MAY LEAD.
GO INSTEAD WHERE THERE IS NO PATH AND LEAVE A TRAIL.
2020 Husqvarna TE 300i

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2011, 08:49:15 pm »
Took the XC rom Mike Hopkins for a spin today:

Yes she does look like the 800GS but in real life it does not look all that smular than it does on the pics. She definately feels very light and well balanced ; awesome gear changing ,very smooth ; runs very quiet and the brakes felt fantastic.

She lacked grunt low down almost like she comes alive only @ 6000 +rpm ; the handles were a bit low for me (I am 1.83m) ; it felt like a very long bike and I almost felt sorry for it like you would when you get onto a new cruiser or superbike.

In general I suppose if you spent some mula on extras like exhaust, tyres, bash plate, crash bars and bar risers the bike will do well offroad, but I do not think she is gonna have what it takes stock standard. Keep in mind what Triumph wants to compete with, the GS 800 and the Katooms are virtualy bullet proof off the showroom floor. Sooo if you wanna bark with the big dogs...

Thanks to Mark @ Mike Hopkins for letting us take her out and also giving me a spin on his giant 2300cc Rocket never felt anything like that before

Uuh, I beg to differ here, the GS comes with a plastic bashplate, so does the Tiger, the GS comes standard without handgaurds, the Tiger XC has them standard, neither bike comes with crashbars. Both bikes need money thrown at them, IMO the Tiger will need less, it has a good front fork setup...the GS needs to be modded, another small aspect too, the power point on the Tiger is good to plug a compressor into as is, the GS needs to be modified...
And KTM needs a few farkles too, but not as many as either bike. Just add crashbars and you're good to go.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline J3THRO

• Yzerfontein WC
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2011, 10:02:07 am »
Uuh, I beg to differ here, the GS comes with a plastic bashplate, so does the Tiger, the GS comes standard without handgaurds, the Tiger XC has them standard, neither bike comes with crashbars. Both bikes need money thrown at them, IMO the Tiger will need less, it has a good front fork setup...the GS needs to be modded, another small aspect too, the power point on the Tiger is good to plug a compressor into as is, the GS needs to be modified...
And KTM needs a few farkles too, but not as many as either bike. Just add crashbars and you're good to go.
[/quote]

OK OK!!! You are right. Truth is I am a KTM boy myself and didnt want to slack off the beemer boys :-)
I guess when I sat on a Beemer in the show room I just felt like I was sitting on more of a quality bike for the kind of riding I do and the Triumph felt like a softie. Hence the price difference too.
Anyway I will say it: U R right

Kilo Tango Mike!!!!!!!
DO NOT FOLLOW WHERE THE PATH MAY LEAD.
GO INSTEAD WHERE THERE IS NO PATH AND LEAVE A TRAIL.
2020 Husqvarna TE 300i

Offline White Rhino

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2011, 12:58:41 pm »
I think that the XC's got the potential to be a good DS bike. Now the rest lies in the sands of time. I can't help pondering how it will ultimately compare to the the F800. Time will tell....

I doubt that there are too many models that could boast a rigorous exercise such as the recent GS trophy event which spanned 7 days and 2000kms over some pretty challenging and diverse terrain. Of the 50 bikes used in the challenge, all of them finished the course without a single mechanical breakdown. Some bikes drowned in the rivers, not even as much as a chain problem, they all just started each time and off they went. Pretty amazing imo!

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, WR450 Rallye, KTM990 Adv, HP2, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline GIDEON

« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2011, 08:54:18 pm »
Something to read.
US Triumph Tech Test.
I did ask and I can share it.

Offline Berty77

« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2011, 09:30:31 pm »
Thanx G
dis mos die lewe!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2011, 09:35:43 pm »
I think that the XC's got the potential to be a good DS bike. Now the rest lies in the sands of time. I can't help pondering how it will ultimately compare to the the F800. Time will tell....

I doubt that there are too many models that could boast a rigorous exercise such as the recent GS trophy event which spanned 7 days and 2000kms over some pretty challenging and diverse terrain. Of the 50 bikes used in the challenge, all of them finished the course without a single mechanical breakdown. Some bikes drowned in the rivers, not even as much as a chain problem, they all just started each time and off they went. Pretty amazing imo!

Up until now there WEREN"T any other 800cc models, now there are 3 to choose from, but as you say, sands of time, will be interesting. :thumleft:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Buks

« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2011, 10:19:32 pm »

I guess that proves the 800GS is not that bad, at least not for the first 2000km under the wacthfull eye of the factory boys.....

Offline Trumpet

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2011, 04:14:45 am »
Another test report & a few photos can be found here: http://www.autodealer.co.za/node/5ba54d53f180d2d4acb13eaeca1fe8ca/
You cannot change what is, But you can change your perception of what is, And if you change your perception of what is, Then you actually change what is.

Offline GIDEON

« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2011, 01:33:11 pm »
Thanks Trumpet
That plastic protection thing, does anyone know what it is,
Like a condome over your side covers?  >:D :mwink:

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2011, 07:11:54 pm »
Cool vid
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Qbi2C5FDrc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6Qbi2C5FDrc</a>
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 03:01:23 pm by MrBig »
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline GIDEON

« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2011, 07:48:27 pm »
They surely know how to make a cool movie  :drif:

Offline Ball and Chain

• Formerly Die Hoof Ouderling. Now back to his old self
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Honda xpress
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2011, 08:09:33 pm »
They surely know how to make a cool movie  :drif:

Hou op k@rk praat en koop 'n slag 'n bike ::)

Honda Xpress

Offline GIDEON

« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2011, 10:12:43 pm »
 >:D
 :imaposer: