Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New Triumph 800 test ride  (Read 4659 times)

Offline Rolf

• Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
  • Previously known as Vilaishima
Re: New Triumph 800 test ride
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2011, 08:16:31 am »
OK, so the Triumph has a decent review so far. By all accounts there's nothing of significance to be concerned or unhappy about, well maybe: the 4 month waiting list for stock. There's quite a few things that need to be checked off before you can complete the owners satisfaction profile. Time Will be the determining factor for the rest - quality, reliability, durability, serviceability, parts availability, adding on the extras.

The F800 has passed all of those with flying colours IMO. Testimony to the quality and reliability are the 30 bikes that took part in the recent GS trophy, where there was not a single mechanical failure! That's quite a bench mark. Good luck Triumph!

O but there is. I loved riding it. It seems very well built and I love that motor - what a peach! The problem is the damn pillion footpegs attached to the frame, not the subframe but the frame. They stick out the furthest and will make first contact when you fall. Major design flaw.
Now:  Royal Enfield Classic Chrome

Previously:  Zongshen 200GY - Aprilia Pegaso 650 iE - Aprilia Caponord 1000
                  Suzuki DRZ 400 SM - Yamaha Virago 535 Bobber - Aprilia Caponord Adventure

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2011, 08:40:00 am »
I rode both 800's today, and I liked them.

Firstly, there is no reason to buy the standard 800 instead of the XC, unless you are three feet high and can't touch the floor on the higher XC.

The power doesn't come as quickly as a twin at low RPM, but this is made up for by the fact that it has a more consistent power band after that. We took it around the handling track at Gerotek, and it both models handling well, but better road tyres would've helped.
The pic below was taken at the mountain course. Suspension works. Well.  :thumleft:

I didn't find any problems with the brakes. BMW has that horrible brake assist rubbish that makes it bite quicker, but also makes it jerky at low speeds and less controllable on gravel. Thank you Triumph for not putting that junk on the Tiger!

The Triumph doesn't sound like an industrial vacuum cleaner, so that is certainly better than the BMW.  ;D

Overall, is it better than the BMW? Well, if you don't like BMW's, and you don't want to be classified as a sheep, then yes. If you have a BMW, and you like it, then keep it and enjoy.

Just once I wish someone would build a really bad bike so I can rip it apart, dammit!  :BangHead:

2-Stroke, what brake assist are you referring to on the F800GS?
+1 ?
Pass this way once!

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2011, 09:58:05 am »

Firstly, there is no reason to buy the standard 800 instead of the XC, unless you are three feet high and can't touch the floor on the higher XC.

The power doesn't come as quickly as a twin at low RPM, but this is made up for by the fact that it has a more consistent power band after that. We took it around the handling track at Gerotek, and it both models handling well, but better road tyres would've helped.
The pic below was taken at the mountain course. Suspension works. Well.  :thumleft:

I didn't find any problems with the brakes. BMW has that horrible brake assist rubbish that makes it bite quicker, but also makes it jerky at low speeds and less controllable on gravel. Thank you Triumph for not putting that junk on the Tiger!

The Triumph doesn't sound like an industrial vacuum cleaner, so that is certainly better than the BMW.  ;D

Overall, is it better than the BMW? Well, if you don't like BMW's, and you don't want to be classified as a sheep, then yes. If you have a BMW, and you like it, then keep it and enjoy.

Just once I wish someone would build a really bad bike so I can rip it apart, dammit!  :BangHead:

Does it not have it? Good for them. I still found nothing wrong with the brakes on the Triumph.

Offline Battlestar

• Forum Whore
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2011, 10:28:19 am »

Does it not have it? Good for them. I still found nothing wrong with the brakes on the Triumph.
Nope. Normal breaks. But now that I think about it the ABS equiped ones might be ???
Pass this way once!

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2011, 10:46:46 am »

Nope. Normal breaks. But now that I think about it the ABS equiped ones might be ???

Maybe. All the other bmw's I've ridden have had it, so I presumed the 800 had it too

Offline Battlestar

• Forum Whore
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2011, 10:48:16 am »
Confirmed they dont  :thumleft:
Pass this way once!

Offline Rolf

• Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
  • Previously known as Vilaishima
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2011, 11:36:11 am »
OK so everybody chooses to ignore the fact that the first thing to make contact when you fall will be the frame?
Now:  Royal Enfield Classic Chrome

Previously:  Zongshen 200GY - Aprilia Pegaso 650 iE - Aprilia Caponord 1000
                  Suzuki DRZ 400 SM - Yamaha Virago 535 Bobber - Aprilia Caponord Adventure

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2011, 11:39:56 am »
OK so everybody chooses to ignore the fact that the first thing to make contact when you fall will be the frame?

No - the passenger footpegs.  Have you seen how thin the walls of those toobz are (the footpeg hangers?)  Fair enough - you might lose a footpeg hanger - but not the frame, I am convinced!

<insert bias disclaimer here>
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline popipants

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2011, 12:43:18 pm »

Shows you that if you have perceived ideas about something, the mind will convince it it must be true.
I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2011, 02:24:11 pm »
The frame could be a point of concern, the entire frame/subframe/pillion footpeg hangers are all one unit, personally I would prefer seperate units, Triumph surely have a reason for this...however, quite often a frame can be straightened, even rewelded.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline popipants

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2011, 03:18:03 pm »

Maybe. All the other bmw's I've ridden have had it, so I presumed the 800 had it too

So what you're saying is that since you have no knowledge at all of the 800GS, any comparison that you made between the 800XC and 800GS is nothing more than the same BS that comes from the other guy on this forum that calls himself  2-Stroke-something.   ::)

By the way. I LOVED the assisted brakes on my 1150GSA.
Shame the 800 does not have them!!

I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2011, 06:32:49 pm »
Booked a test ride tomorrow morning,want to see if the hype is justified.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2011, 07:34:07 pm »

So what you're saying is that since you have no knowledge at all of the 800GS, any comparison that you made between the 800XC and 800GS is nothing more than the same BS that comes from the other guy on this forum that calls himself  2-Stroke-something.   ::)

Funny you should mention that. My pet hate is people who sit with press photos, spec sheets and magnifying glasses and attempt to create some sort of an opinion about the bike based on that. They then ride the bike, self-filling prophecy kicks in, and so the bike is exactly how they imagine it would be.

Regarding the 800GS, I have no idea what brakes it has, what wheels it has, its horsepower, its torque, the ride height, the suspension travel, the swingarm length, the tank capacity, the bore, the stroke, the cam timing, or most other things about it. But I have ridden it, and many many other bikes, which is why I know it is brilliant.

The same ignorance is very purposefully present regarding the XC, and that too is brilliant.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2011, 11:54:06 pm »
wow - well spoken 2stroke
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline DOCTOR KLR

• Are You Living to Die OR DYING TO LIVE?
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • DOCTOR KLR
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2011, 02:39:03 am »
Sorry,but the Bike looks Soft,
''Walkerville Rangers'and''PATHFINDERS' 86 KLR600,93 KLX650,06 KLR650 ,08 KLX450,04 BWS100,1983 KLR600(chassis #000181&000182)KLRR650 Versys

Offline White Rhino

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2011, 05:57:12 am »

Gone fishing! - Twist it's little ear!   :ricky:

I think that a little poll on the test ride outcomes could reveal something interesting (can we add this to this thread, or start another?):
1) Don't like;
2) Pretty OK, but there are better options;
3) Quite like but won't buy one;
4) Really really cool, will buy one like yesterday;
5) Dig it as my next bike;

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2011, 01:55:14 pm »

Funny you should mention that. My pet hate is people who sit with press photos, spec sheets and magnifying glasses and attempt to create some sort of an opinion about the bike based on that. They then ride the bike, self-filling prophecy kicks in, and so the bike is exactly how they imagine it would be.

Regarding the 800GS, I have no idea what brakes it has, what wheels it has, its horsepower, its torque, the ride height, the suspension travel, the swingarm length, the tank capacity, the bore, the stroke, the cam timing, or most other things about it. But I have ridden it, and many many other bikes, which is why I know it is brilliant.

The same ignorance is very purposefully present regarding the XC, and that too is brilliant.

:thumleft:  In spite of your forum name, you're obviously not related to the other guy who seldom has anything good to say about anything. Forgive me for the knee-jerk reaction.   :thumleft:

Sorry, no relation to anyone on this forum. No one on this forum is nearly as ugly as me.  ;D

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2011, 02:09:26 pm »
A knee-jerk reaction can surely ever only come from the knee of a jerk? After apologising to 2stroke, do the next decent thing and apologise to 2strokeDan. :xxbah:

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2011, 02:55:10 pm »

Gone fishing! - Twist it's little ear!   :ricky:

I think that a little poll on the test ride outcomes could reveal something interesting (can we add this to this thread, or start another?):
1) Don't like;
2) Pretty OK, but there are better options;
3) Quite like but won't buy one;
4) Really really cool, will buy one like yesterday;
5) Dig it as my next bike;

Well got back a while ago from my first ride on the 800XC,and I doubt it will be my last ride on it.
Left home early to get to Mike Hopkins early,cause I could use the bike till 11h00.Got there and my first impression was the bike looked nicer in the flesh than in the photos.Filled out paperwork ,and went for a ride.Had a mate with me on his GSA.The ride we did was over Kloof ,to Hout Bay and then go over Constantia Nek and back to town on the M3.
Start her up ,very quite and just about no vibration when you are stationary.I immediately felt that the handlebars seemed very narrow .Once I pulled away ,shifted into second I was amazed at how smooth the transmission was,I thought maybe I had hit neutral.From low down the bike feels good,power up and it feels smooth.No great rush of speed but no slouch either.At low revs it is a pleasure,got stuck in second gear half way up the nek,but the bike was happy.
Lots of cars on the road so progress was slow.
Once we got up and down the other side it amazed me that for a first time outing ,I felt really comfortable and I felt at ease.But I was not particurly comfortable with the riding position.I had the seat on the lower setting and it felt like my feet were slightly raked back,which was forcing me to lean forward,taking on a riding position more akin to a road bike.
We start hitting the twisties and the bike wants to be thrown in the corners,almost urging you on,it felt great.Just as we get to suikerbossie my mate says we have a rolling drag in third gear.He counts down from three and I floor it.This is the first tme I really get the bike above 6000rpm,and wow wow wow.The engne note changes and the bike takes on a new personality.I pull the GSA with ease ,hit 10000rpm without going to the limiter,up to fourth and another surge,short shift to fifth and I am doing silly speeds.Hit the brakes,enough lunacy for one day.
We get down to Hout Bay,my hands a little sore from the riding position.We set the seat to the higher position,not too high for me  and I am only 5"11 .This feels a little better,now seem seated a little more upright and do not seem to be reaching as bad.Did I mention the seat is uber comfortable.Go over Constantia Nek but it is full of traffic,and there are plenty bikes on the road.Get onto the M3 and get my first chane to give it horns through the gears.Although very muted,you get a nice little growl higher up the rev range,progress is swift.
As I get to the top of Wynberg hill I slow right down to 80,but stay in top gear.just as the road levels out over the bridge.Just before the right hander I pin the throttle,and she responds pretty damn well .As I bring the bike up through the turn I look at the speedo and I am doing 130km,so from low down in sixth gear up an incline she pulled alright.
The last part of the ride was the most fun for me,that being De Waal Drive.I know this section of road pretty well as it is a favourite of mine on the motard.It was a blast,the bike seemed very composed,easy to turn and the brakes work,you just got to squeeze a bit to get the best out of them.
Got back to the shop and John says now I need to ride the 800GS straight away to get a good comparison.I ask him to phone and see if there is one available.Johno says no worries come through,I just need to get it back by 12-00.
Demo is ready,has fuel,paperwork predone.Start the bike ,a nice little growl coming from the exhaust.Seating position feels great,I seem to be sitting more upright,bars still seem narrow compared to the DRZ.We decide to do the same route,but tme is not on our side.

We go through the Waterfornt,and I get first hand experience with the twitchy throttle.The bike is brand new ,it has 54 KM's on the odo,s I am already a little nervous about the tyres.We go up kloof and it feels very different ,hit the twisties at the top and I can't seem to find the rythm I had on the Tiger.Oh well I am sure it will get better later on.But it did not,I just did not seem to be able to throw it around as nicely as I did with the 800XC.
As we get to Hout Bay we realise we might not make it back to BMW in time so we do a u turn and head on back.I feel a little more confident with the bike now but my arse by this stage is numb,the angle of the seat pushing me towards the tank and my inner thighs are also feeling a little sore.I find this odd as I have only been on the bike for a short while ,the DRZ seat I have done longer stints without feeling any discomfort.
We take the same road back and the bike feels a little better,more like me getting more used to it.We get back in time and have a chat to Johno.I tell him the seat is not the best .He says that is the most common remark after a test.

So this is the very first time I have done a back to back comparison on two similar bikes like this.Most of my riding is done on tar so these two bikes appeal to me.But I have the option to do some offroad riding on the weekends when the urge arrives.I commute almost daily by bike so I wanted to upgrade from the DRZ400SM,which is a great commuter but very limiting.

I love the looks of the BMW800GS,but not sold on it's ride or the comfort part.I suppose the seat is an easy fix,and it would have been better with a bike that had a little more milage and if the tyres were a little older.Seating position is way better than the Tiger.
The 800XC's  motor is a dream and from the get go easy to ride.The seat is super comfy but the riding position is not that great.
What would I buy.I want the GS with the seat and motor of the XC,that would be the bike for me. :thumleft:        
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Aquatic

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2011, 02:57:37 pm »
The frame could be a point of concern, the entire frame/subframe/pillion footpeg hangers are all one unit, personally I would prefer seperate units, Triumph surely have a reason for this...however, quite often a frame can be straightened, even rewelded.
I questioned this when the first decent pictures were released.
Don't dare flip it!!!
The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!