Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: How difficult can it be to UPGRADE!!!!!!!!  (Read 638 times)

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
How difficult can it be to UPGRADE!!!!!!!!
« on: February 14, 2011, 07:38:21 pm »
Ek gaan die onderwerp in Ingils post, so verskoon die grammar ens.  My ingils was al so teen 12:00 op.

I am in the process of upgrading from my 700 TA.  Honda does not have anything bigger at this stage, therefore I had a look at the 800Gs and S10.  I decided eventually on the S10.  (Personal preferences.)

Now this is where I seem to hit a brick wall.  I contacted two dealers today (14 Feb 2011 at around 10:00) in the Eastern Cape and asked them to work on a deal that included me trading my 2009 TA and a 2009 XR250. The 1st dealer said he would contact me later the day with the figures once he worked it out.  At first I thought why could he not do the deal there and then, but I left it there and waited for his call later today. 

I then contacted the second dealer and when I mentioned to the dealer that I have trade in's, he mentioned that he does not feel like trade in's today.  It pissed me off immediately, but I insisted that it is part of the deal or nothing.  He then also told me he will contact me later with particulars of the deal.

Needles to say, I received no calls back and at around 16:00 I phoned the 1st dealer just to find out that the salesperson is not there this afternoon and will only be back tomorrow.  I was not very happy and eventually spoke to the owner.  I informed him about the situation and he wanted to know what I expected to receive for the TA.  I asked him if they will compensate me for all the extras on the bike, such as top box, panniers, crash bars and,  and,  and .....  He said no, as people who want to buy the bike is not prepared to pay for the extras.  I was shocked but said that I am prepared to remove the extras if that is the case.  He then said that he will have a meeting with the salesperson to work out a deal and contact me in the morning.

I then phoned the second dealer who told me that he cannot get hold of a certain person that he wants to sell my TA to, therefore he cannot work out a deal at this stage.  I then asked him if he first need to sell my bike before a deal could be reached.  He could not answer me but said that he will contact me later.  I then informed him I need the deal to be finalized before the end of this week.

My questions :
Am I being bullied by motorbike dealers?
Are dealers serious about selling their product?
Are times really that bad/hard for these dealers?
Once you purchased a certain product, are you stuck with it unless you trade for the same brand?
If you receive this kind of treatment from the word go, what will the after service be like?

Can anybody else recommend another dealer for the same product who will be serious about selling their product.

Case in point, I purchased two new vehicles last year, and both deals were finalized within the same day, as a matter of fact, within 2 hours the deals were reached with only the paper work that had to finalized later the day.
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L - Sold,   Honda CRF250Rally back in the stable,   BMW K1200LT.

Offline DRAZIL

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Alpha et Omega
Re: How difficult can it be to UPGRADE!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 07:47:14 pm »
buy a BM they even accept KLRs >:D  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=64801.0

On a serious side, I believe one is cornered on trade ins and the dealers take full liberty of it. >:(
You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 07:50:49 pm »
Up here competition maybe a bit more so dealers more keen to negotiate?

True about the extra's though. It doesn't sell the bike at a higher price most of the times.

Lot's of dealers gone belly up past two years. Economy or bad service? Combination or just that economy is pinching.  ???

I don't have a fricken clue as to what it entails to run a dealership but I do know they have to make money. :deal: And invest lot's of capital.

Taking a trade in just to sell another bike is not always clear cut?

But ja. Shite service from the 2 dealers. At least talk to the prospective client and keep him in the loop. :P >:(
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline BeefQueen

• Lord/pole-dancer
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • No matter what you ride, its all the same wind
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 07:51:30 pm »
I understand the frustration.

Look it is one thing if they don't want your trade-ins. If the market is such that it is not feasible for them to resell those bikes within a reasonable time with a reasonable profit, then I can understand if they aren't too keen.

And to be awfully honest. I would think twice before buying a BM at Yamaha for instance. I'd rather buy one from BMW even if it require spending a little more. I guess I'd just be a bit more comfortable, yet I am not sure why.

But for fuck's sake, the least they can do is be straight up with you! I don't get why there is a need for them to beat around the bush. Just say it like it is.

Good luck with this.
"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." Richard Dawkins

Offline Vis Arend

• Grey hound
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 08:00:27 pm »
But ja. Shite service from the 2 dealers. At least talk to the prospective client and keep him in the loop. :P >:(
I understand the frustration.

Look it is one thing if they don't want your trade-ins. If the market is such that it is not feasible for them to resell those bikes within a reasonable time with a reasonable profit, then I can understand if they aren't too keen.

But for fuck's sake, the least they can do is be straight up with you! I don't get why there is a need for them to beat around the bush. Just say it like it is.

Good luck with this.

Thx, exactually my point.
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L - Sold,   Honda CRF250Rally back in the stable,   BMW K1200LT.

Offline Vis Arend

• Grey hound
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 08:06:13 pm »
Sorry, exactly my point.  Ek het mos gese my ingils is al 12:00 op.

KobusL

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 08:19:50 pm »
Contact Helderberg Yamaha  :thumleft:

And sell the XR250 privately.

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 08:20:41 pm »
Adverteer jou XR hier, ek is seker hy sal gou verkoop, en trade die XLV in, of probeer n dealer in JHB/PTA.
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline Padrone

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Ural (all models)
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 08:23:58 pm »
Sell them both out of hand. With no trade in you can screw them for a good price  :ricky:
Don't pick a fight with an old man.If he is too old to fight,he'll just kill you.
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for"
Bikes in my garage
The Pig has left the sty.
1982 Suzuki 500DRS 2004 KLR  650    Sold Yamaha ST First edition 2012 Ural Gearup

Offline Vis Arend

• Grey hound
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 09:21:37 pm »
Sell them both out of hand. With no trade in you can screw them for a good price  :ricky:
Tried it, price fixed at R138 999.

Adverteer jou XR hier, ek is seker hy sal gou verkoop, en trade die XLV in, of probeer n dealer in JHB/PTA.
Contact Helderberg Yamaha  :thumleft:

And sell the XR250 privately.

Thx for the advice, but apparently there is only 22 left in the country (the first edition).  The 2011 lot is on its way in black with a price tag of R134 000 without all the extras.  Add an aditional R19 000 for the current extras and it will be over R150 000.

I need to do the deal asap, and me think they know it.

Offline BeefQueen

• Lord/pole-dancer
  • Race Dog
  • No matter what you ride, its all the same wind
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 10:02:10 pm »
Ek dink nie jy kan verkeerd gaan om bietjie rond te bel hier na die noorde toe nie. Kyk wat jy kan regkry met die ouens hier bo.

Ek sal nie moerse lus wees om 'n deal te maak moet die trille daar in die ooskaap as hulle my nie eers 'n reguit antwoord kan gee nie.

Anders, sit bietjie druk op die ouens. Dring aan op eerlikheid. Die fokkers skuld jou ten minste dit. Maar ek sou met die einaar praat, direk. Laat hy vir jou reguit se wat aan die gang is.

Sterkte mr. Vis Arend, ek hoop jy is binnkort aan die stuur van daai S10.
"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." Richard Dawkins

Offline Vis Arend

• Grey hound
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 10:18:33 pm »
Dankie BQ, het daaraan gedink, maar na wie toe vat ek die bike vir 'n service? 
Ek kan net nie glo 'n ou sukkel so nie.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 10:35:12 pm »
I must agree that the return service is tardy, but also look at the deal from their side....is there a ready market for the Honda 700....as well as the XR250...will they get their money back within a reasonable time? Or will either bike stand around on the shop floor just costing them money?
Are they hard up to sell a Super Ten? IMO not....No disrespect, but they have to look at it from a business perspective.
Agreed the extras are worth very little in this type of negotiation, are the luggage boxes not transferrable to the next bike or are they made only for the Honda?
But...the salesman saying he's not in the mood for trade-in's today...his moer! Speak to the owners of the shops.....
Good luck with your deal though, the Super Ten is a very lekker machine...
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Crowley

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 08:17:16 am »
What they often do in regards to the trade-in of other brand bikes is to let it stand on another dealerships floor that is selling that brand. Obviously this becomes a bit more complex deal as more people are involved and the risk increases.

Also the S10 is not exactly a slow mover in selling terms at the moment so the dealer can afford to be picky. Where it an 800 GS people might be a bit more accommodating at the moment.

Offline IRISH

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 08:18:34 am »
Vis Arend, I would be interested in the XR if it is going at the right price. We can talk on the Hogsback ride.

Offline Vis Arend

• Grey hound
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 08:20:57 am »
Vis Arend, I would be interested in the XR if it is going at the right price. We can talk on the Hogsback ride.

See you there, Irish.

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 09:05:45 am »
I know you're in a rush to place your order, but you will get a MUCH better deal if you sell the bikes yourself and then negotiate a deal with Yamaha.
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Vis Arend

• Grey hound
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 03:51:21 pm »
Thx for all the advise.  :thumleft: 

I might have a deal with a dealer that will be fit for my pocket.  :biggrin:  The deal should be finalized in this week.   :deal:

Cheers

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 03:53:01 pm »
Good luck VA  :thumleft:
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Vis Arend

• Grey hound