Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Talk to me about cross training/gym training  (Read 599 times)

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
Talk to me about cross training/gym training
« on: June 21, 2011, 12:30:09 pm »
So I want to race next year  ;D

Looking at a KTM exc 200 as a plastic  :ricky: will see when n what not...

What I am interested to find out is what kind of cross or gym training can be done to prep? I have a 19 week long off-season MX training program I started following at the end of last year and will be starting that up again.

as a side note I would suggest checking this site out as its a great resource: http://www.racerxvt.com/

any advice?

Obviously saddle time is hugely important, for me it will be another month or so till I am up and riding again

So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Online JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
Re: Talk to me about cross training/gym training
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 12:38:29 pm »
Forget the gym - get another job of three to pay for everything - running the bike should not be too expensive but if you are going to do the local enduro / off road scene there is quite a bit of travelling, entry fees, accomodation at overnight places, etc

Cost me in about R2000 per race last year excluding the far away ones like Louvain in George, etc

BUT don't let me put you off - go ahead and do it - you will only be young, dumb and full of cum once in your life - it was an absolutely jol and I will be back someday
The older I get the faster I was

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 12:44:14 pm »
Forget the gym - get another job of three to pay for everything - running the bike should not be too expensive but if you are going to do the local enduro / off road scene there is quite a bit of travelling, entry fees, accomodation at overnight places, etc

Cost me in about R2000 per race last year excluding the far away ones like Louvain in George, etc

BUT don't let me put you off - go ahead and do it - you will only be young, dumb and full of cum once in your life - it was an absolutely jol and I will be back someday
Yea the cost isn't going to put me off.

I still feel that some gym time isn't going to do any harm

give this a read http://www.racerxvt.com/article/coach-seijis-daily-strength-training-plan

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 08:20:09 am »
I agree with RacerXVT training...the reason it is 19 weeks long, it allows you to built base.

Good base is crucial before you start serious TIT..it prevents injury, and allows you to cope with the thrills and spills of serious offroad riding, i.e. you are stronger, will be able to concentrate better, be less hard on the bike and if you do spill, most likely be up and running quicker.

An aspect that most ignore, when you do start out on the bike, make sure you focus on the slow, super technical stuff first, and as a priority throughout. It is less likely to break your bike, and it is where races are won or lost. Ideally, get a training partner that can spot and provide you with input in terms of technique.

Like Justin says, sort out the finances, it is huge, or make sure your goals is realistic.
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline JO GSA

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • XT660R Wheeeeeeeee......
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 08:30:37 am »
If you are realy into the gym thing, first go and get youreself a Polar Heart rate monitor, there is lots available, but for gym the best one is the FT80.

Then go and check out http://www.maxworkouts.com/?gclid=CJ2Xtsj0zakCFQMLfAodRjijOQ , this bloke focuses on fitness and endurance training. You will have more then double youre endurance in 19 weeks time. And you would be able to do all of his workouts if you have some dumbells and barbells in the house, it would not be nesasery to go to a gym. The combination of the FT80 Polar HR monitor and Maxwourkouts works very well for me, but be prepared not to be able to speak inbetween sets..... its hard training...
a Great man is known by how he treats people that can't do anything for him.
Curry Blake

It's all good, all of the time.
Johan Smith

Offline Buff

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 08:40:29 am »
Cool, another lamb to the slaughter  ;D. Okay so I started racing this year so I feel I'm slightly qualified to answer your question... START DOING GYM TRAINING A.S.A.P.  :D

First and foremost, spend as much time on the bike as possible practicing your technical skills and endurance. Try ride for 2 hours long with a camelback on. It's a moerse effort.

Gym training works because if you're riding a 200 like I am, you are physically muscling that bike around the course, lifting the front end over ditches etc. An enduro race on a KDX equates to 3000 dead lifts in the gym  :D
I try at get to the gym 4 times a week but that's not always possible. The difference between my first race and second race was chalk and cheese. The more effort you put in with the training the less farked you are on the bike and the better your consentration is  :thumleft:

It's an absolute jol and you're going to love it. I'm at most of the local offroad events so if you ever need a lift (to share transport costs) give me a shout  :thumleft: I have 2 other mates who'll be joining as well (once T-Dawgs broken shoulder has healed up   :-\)... btw, elke sport het sy beseerings  :o
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 08:55:18 am »
..... its hard training...
>:D   Thanks for the link.

Buff also touches on an important aspect..make it sociable, get a group together, it does wonders for commitment.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 08:56:49 am by Beserker »

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 11:24:31 am »
endurance training, ..definitely, as well as some core stabilizing ...pilatus etc...and yoga to toughen the long muscles...this is crucial for injury prevetion. my 2c...only because mostly too much focus is placed on weight training which weakens your lateral movements...

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 11:29:45 am »
If you do running/spinning and rowing machine x 4 times a week (but with intensity, not farking around) you'll be 80% there.

Do not underestimate the rowing machine, as it exercises legs, back, shoulders, biceps and core - the muscles you're bound to use when riding. All in one. Plus its also a cardio workout of note.

In fact, I wonder why more people don't row. But then again, the rowing machines are mostly open because the posers are to scared of them. It's hard work!
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 11:45:05 am »

Do not underestimate the rowing machine, as it exercises legs, back, shoulders, biceps and core - the muscles you're bound to use when riding. All in one. Plus its also a cardio workout of note.

Yip...also a good way of gauging your progress...battery test, if you like.

Offline Jacko

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 11:46:19 am »
More on the rowing machine: http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/66_08_Why_Indoor_Row.pdf

The author also rides dirt bikes, amongst doing other stuff.
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 01:27:08 pm »
If you do running/spinning and rowing machine x 4 times a week (but with intensity, not farking around) you'll be 80% there.

Do not underestimate the rowing machine, as it exercises legs, back, shoulders, biceps and core - the muscles you're bound to use when riding.
Hell yea! I row for all of my cardio

endurance training, ..definitely, as well as some core stabilizing ...pilatus etc...and yoga to toughen the long muscles...this is crucial for injury prevetion. my 2c...only because mostly too much focus is placed on weight training which weakens your lateral movements...
Agreed, I also use Yoga on my rest days. It seems to help allot with stretching out

Cool, another lamb to the slaughter  ;D. Okay so I started racing this year so I feel I'm slightly qualified to answer your question... START DOING GYM TRAINING A.S.A.P.  :D

It's an absolute jol and you're going to love it. I'm at most of the local offroad events so if you ever need a lift (to share transport costs) give me a shout  :thumleft:
Was doing 2x a day 6 days a week up until 4 months ago, hopefully I should have my bike up and running by end of July so I can get riding time in. Hell yes to the splitting transport and maybe riding together

If you are realy into the gym thing, first go and get youreself a Polar Heart rate monitor, there is lots available, but for gym the best one is the FT80.

Then go and check out http://www.maxworkouts.com/?gclid=CJ2Xtsj0zakCFQMLfAodRjijOQ , this bloke focuses on fitness and endurance training. You will have more then double youre endurance in 19 weeks time. And you would be able to do all of his workouts if you have some dumbells and barbells in the house, it would not be nesasery to go to a gym. The combination of the FT80 Polar HR monitor and Maxwourkouts works very well for me, but be prepared not to be able to speak inbetween sets..... its hard training...
Will check it out thanks  :thumleft:

I use a heart rate monitor for all of my training, all intensity brackets are based on LH tests I did previously. will be doing a fresh LH test on Monday  ;)

I agree with RacerXVT training...the reason it is 19 weeks long, it allows you to built base.

Good base is crucial before you start serious TIT..it prevents injury, and allows you to cope with the thrills and spills of serious offroad riding, i.e. you are stronger, will be able to concentrate better, be less hard on the bike and if you do spill, most likely be up and running quicker.

An aspect that most ignore, when you do start out on the bike, make sure you focus on the slow, super technical stuff first, and as a priority throughout. It is less likely to break your bike, and it is where races are won or lost. Ideally, get a training partner that can spot and provide you with input in terms of technique.

Like Justin says, sort out the finances, it is huge, or make sure your goals is realistic.
:thumleft:

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 01:35:12 pm »
Row 3x a week, cycle on alternating days.

otherwise Pelotrain, can't get better race training in SA

Offline N[]vA

• Grey hound
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 01:37:18 pm »
whats Pelotrain?

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 01:41:28 pm »
It's an advanced athlete training and development program.

www.pelotrain.co.za

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 03:55:31 am »
The best training you could do is to hit the MX track, and do a couple of hours. Take it easy, you dont have to jump like the heroes, but it will give you a rider work out second to none, and its the next best thing to actually racing and doing an 8 hour outride.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250