10 Days in the Northern Cape during January - Advice required

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gina

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
Hi All

I am planning to travel to the Northern Cape somewhere during January for a 5 to 10 day trip from Johannesburg. I am returning to SA after 3 years in the smelly armpit of Africa and need my Jim Morrison moment in the desert before I start working in SA again. Anybody is welcome to join me for the whole trip or only part of it but as you will note below all arrangements are very loose and without an itinerary.

My planning or guidelines for the trip are as follow. Day one travel from Jhb to Upington and overnight there. From there go where ever it sounds interesting. If the beer is not cold at a place I will have one and travel to the next place and if the beer is cold and the locals lekker I will most probably overnight. Hell if Upington is nice I may just stay there for a couple of days. However, no riding after two beers.

I am not planning to carry a tent so it will be cheap hotels/guest houses. From there I am open for suggestions. Personally I would like to see and MEET LOCAL PEOPLE in places such as Pofadder, Springbok, Garies, Port Nolloth and even maybe Alexander Bay. All of those place you just hear about or maybe have a quick stopover on your way to somewhere else.

As you can see this is just a long drive in an unknown part of our country, especially to me and any advice whatsoever will be appreciated.

Groete
Eugene