1200GSA Shocking Shock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biza

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Bike is 2008 model, at 49 000km the rear shock started to leak (90% tar roads). Bike is out of warranty . . . . . :(
A new shock cost R11 500 :'(  ??? from the dealer and a secondhand one from ACME R6 000 with no guarantee.  :p ::)
I was recommended to have it refurbished which I did. Lasted for just over 3 000km and leaked again. Had it refurbished again and it lasted for 300km when it started to leak AGAIN. Had it refurbished AGAIN and this time . . . . . it lasted for 5 km and started leaking A G A I N!!!!!

During this whole excursion the bike was standing for 12 solid weeks.
I was told by oom Alex (refurbisher) that BMW shocks are manufactured in China, assembled in India and not even the BMW technicians knows the workings and inside of these shocking shocks.

My buddies with BM's (some in excess of 100 000km) had no problems, did I get the shock that was manufactured on a Friday late afternoon and assembled in India on a Friday between 12h00 and 14h00???? :mwink: :mwink:

I have been in contact with my dealer, GM of BMW and even posted on their Facebook page . . . . .  no sympathy received.
This leaves a very sour taste and one tends to blame the brand ........... maybe it is time to move to the dark side.