2004 Transalp vs 1995 750 Africa Twin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pap_sak

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Hi to all - newbie here.

At the beginning of the year I decided life was to short not to have a bike - have had quite a few in the past with the last bike being an '95 XT 600 E (or was in 660?) Anyway sold some stuff/saved some cash and with a bit of help from the good 'ol CC can push together around R35K.

Now I am on the tall side - around 6'6 and around 110kg. I am not brave enough to ask my wife her weight, but I am guess around the 70kg mark. At the most we will probably do  1- 2 nights camping at a time every 3 months or so, but I guess another 15-20kg of camping gear. Otherwise I will use it on weekends an I do a round 80km trip twice a week on tar - but it's one dorp to another and might have to try some of the back roads - but guessing tar 90%

I settled on a big on-off.
Needs a happy button
Now - keeping in mind the budget down to the AT,TA,KLE,KLR (parts for the aprilla rule that out and you don't really see BM's at that end of the price scale).

KLE would be fine for me but a bit small for two up.

KLR is still an option

But I think a twin might be better

Ok - so here is the question.

Would you buy an older AT or a newer (by almost 10 years) TA? - I think the extra power on the TA might help 2 up.
I have heard the AT engine lasts for ages - haven't heard that about the TA (good but not spectacular) - but can you still find part for the AT?

Does the KLR offer anything that the TA does not? I haven't ruled it out...just a gut thing

Cheers - Pap_sak