800GS test drive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaTaM

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
I ended up unexpectedly in the beemer winkel on Thursday last week. To make a long story short I managed to book a test drive on the new 800GS on Saturday at 9am.
The bike was fitted with a Bosson aftermarket pipe which was the ugliest thing I ever saw fitted to a bike, but admittedly sounded absolutely awsome. Klink goed, lyk baie sleg.
Driving away and within the first 200 meters a huge smile spread accross my face. Exactly the same smile when I start my 950KTM which is currently "under construction" in the garage awaiting a new front rim - the only weak link on my 950.
Since I am permanently and thorougly in love with my 950 I was very worried that the 800GS is finally the match for my baby. I was only relieved once I hit the dirt road between Villiersdorp and Botrivier and I thankfully realized that the 800GS could not manage a wheelspin at 160k/hr (like the KTM does so brilliantly) On tar, both bikes have more than enough power for me and what I enjoy doing.
Back to the 800: When I got onto the bike for the first time I immediately felt at home and perfectly comfortable - not the slightest uneasiness.

Taking her on the N2 the 800 offered absolutely zero protection against the wind - my neck is still stiff, almost as stiff as the R3000 for an aftermarket screen at BMW. Enough power to cruise at 160km/hr on the highway - something which I could never feel at ease with when riding a 650cc along a boring highway. When I hit Franshoek pass I was ready for action: the bike handled brilliantly through the corners and the smooth motor was taking everything away that I threw at it. Clearly my driving abilities was the only restriction.

When hitting the fast dirt road (left after crossing the bridge after Theewaterskloof dam) I was a little uneasy about grip/traction underfoot. My biggest complaint about the Dakar I owned previously is that one never really knows what is happening underfoot (or under tyre) on a dirt road. Get onto a 640KTM and you know exactly where you are going and how fast you can go (but paying the price in terms of comfort when doing exended rides).

The 800 started responding nicely as my confidence started to grow after a few minutes on the dirt and very soon I felt in control - my previous fears dissapearing into the dust quickly. I must say that the dirt road was in a very good condition and probably not a fair way to judge the bike's off-road capabilities. The odd pot hole was not a problem and I cruised at 100-120km/hr on the dirt - reasonable quick for me and not once did the suspension bottom out like the 950 sometimes does (with the associated smileys).
Going back over the mountain via Houwhoek pass was really enjoyable apart from the stiff neck from fighting the wind.

Overall rating coming from a KTM fan: Brilliant bikE
Warning: Dakar owners DO NOT TEST DRIVE THIS BIKE - it is going to cost you money!

Back at the Beemer shop they were a little unhappy with me:
1)I am only suppose to take the bike for an hour test drive, not 3.5hrs and
2)I was not suppose to ride on the dirt with a demo bike.
3)There was another customer waiting to test drive the demo (oops, hope it is not a WD) but I think he soon realised on his demo ride how easily the time can past on the 800GS...

I suppose the 6months waiting list speaks for itself.