950 Carb Issues - Please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthalman

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Dagsê Honne

I understand most mechanical things, but carbs are my Achilles heel. Please chip in…

I installed spots a while ago. During this the ignition was on and off a million times. Every time the fuel pump (moerse sterk Facet - not the one recommended on the forums) would prime.

After the spot install the engine would not crank. Looooong story short, and a new battery later. There was fuel in die piston camber causing a sort of a hydrolock. Fuel in the oil as well. Did a mayor service (excl air filter) to dry the camber out, and the bike started easy and felt fine around on the spin around the block i.e. 3km and revs below 4000.

24hours later I started it again and a huge blob of fuel shot out the one zorst pipe. I took it to the garage and filled it up with fuel. After parking it I closed the petcock thinghy, and have since done so when I park for longer than one hour. I really don't want to cause a "fuel hydro lock" again.

After this I thought all was well and did a 1000km trip to swaziland over last weekend and the fuel consumption was real bad. Also it felt weaker. Had the throttle max open on the hills. There was a strong headwind, so the lack of power could possibly be in my mind, although the lack of power seems consistent with the tos fuel consumption.

So after my trip I was clueless as to the cause for the lack of power and tos fuel consumption. The possible causes I could think of were:
- Dirty air filter
- Carb boots not placed back proberly
- Some internal problem with the carb
- Vacuum pipes leaking or pinched shut somewhere

With this in mind I made a 550km trip from Joburg to Potch for some BYM collaboration with three fellow dogs. My plan was to check that the carb boots are nice and securely sealed, and inspect the air filter. Outcome:
- Front carb boot was secured, but not in the groove for that pipe thing going to the head, so I corrected it.
- Filter seemed a wee bit dirty, but very dry.
- Saw some oil/greasy fluid on the inside of my airbox. Looks like oil being pushed back through the front carb "throat"?

After putting the bike back together I took it for a short 30km ride and it felt a lot better power wise, but still not 100% from what I remember it to be. When I take it from low revs all the way up the power does not feel as though it increases as the revs build...

Next steps:
- Monitor fuel consumption
- Replace air filter asap
- "Check out" the carb?

I would like some input if someone has experienced the same. Ideas on possible causes? It really did not make sense for the serious deterioration in fuel consumption after clearing the piston chamber with fuel. I also need to figure out what caused the "fuel hydro lock". Did something break in the carb? Is my fuel pump the culprit?

I've got 59027km in the odo.

Help/advice/input please?

Some photos of:
- the oil in the airbox
- the fuel pump
- screen shots of my fuel consumption pre- and post- my "fuel hydro lock"
- a guy who passed out

ehy3y2ym.jpg
a4uvety2.jpg
pe9uduby.jpg
ubyzu4ag.jpg
syqerepy.jpg