950 not starting... after some DIY

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpj

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
So, hopefully you clever okes on the forum can help restore some of my damaged pride.

My 950 was backfiring/spluttering when closing the throttle, cutting out when idling, but not badly - I could still ride, just an irritation.

So searching here and on the OC Hall of Wisdom, I decided to have a look at the ignition switch, and the main relay as a first stop (and last one it seems now...)

Removed and opened the ignition switch as per this guide - https://www.ktm950.info/how/Electrical%20Shop/Wiring/Ignition%20Switch/ignition_switch_cleanup.html
I couldn't get the last bit out, and I didn't want to force it, so I just sprayed a shitload of Q20 in it, shook it out, and reassembled.

I then had a look at the main relay - everything looked hunky-dory, so just tightened the terminal bolts, cleaned the connectors, and again doused in Q20.

Put everything back again, and;
[list type=decimal]
[*]Turned the ignition. Lights on, Facet pump is priming or whatever it's doing, clicking away
[*]Hit the starter button, loud backfire, left it a that since I didn't want to wake SWAMBO
[*]Didn't actually start it, since I thought the backfire is good enough indication that I didn't bugger anything up, and it will start when I eventually go for a ride
[/list]
Happiness, until about two days later I actually did want to go for a ride. All kitted up, straddling the beast, I turned the key (lights on, Facet making noise), and hit the button - nothing. Not a click  :(

The lights all come on, and the pump is clicking, so I'm assuming that I didn't bugger up die ignition switch.
I had a look at the main relay again, making sure everything is plugged in etc - it looks fine.

Any ideas what I fucked up?