A little advice for the wannabe adventurer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
So every now and then I like to get on the bike and just go solo....thinking that I am capable of sorting out anything minor that happens to the bike . Puncture being one of those minor problems . Now I have never changed a tube by myself before , I have watched , I have assisted once, so I thought nooooo...... problem.Well little did I know , how little I know.

Last weekend I do a little 1200km loop from Cape Town to Knysna and back and true as fukin bob I feel my front tyre going flat 20km from home , noooooo.......problem . I got the tools to fix it . I carry a bead breaker. a no pinch tyre lever,pump and various other spanners and shit. Well that all means fuckall If you cant even get the nut loosened.

So I pump the tyre up to check how fast the leak is . It holds for a while , so I decide to ride and pump it every few km's .I ended up doing this about 6 times before I got home.

So today I decide to fix the puncture .(Now this may make me look like a total Do@s ,but I am sharing in the hope that someone else doesnt ) I pull out my tool box and start going at it . I get the bolt loosened. Now what ......Oh!! its an F800gs . I go hit Google ,all seems pretty simple but if you dont know then you dont know .I eventually get the wheel off and with a little huffing and puffing and the correct tools I manage to change the tube and get the wheel back on. Its a lot more difficult by yourself.

The moral of the story is.. Know your bike , know your tools and at least practice at home once before you venture out alone.Just thinking that you know how to do it does not work . If I had got that puncture on a back road with no one around . I would have been FUCKED.