A new piston for a KLR '08

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Western

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I know that I'm going to take a beating for this but I view it as collateral damage. My girlfriend and I went on a biking trip to Malawi. She rides a F650GS and I ride a KLR '08. Long story short, while returning through Mozambique I seized the engine of the KLR. The reason, no oil. I serviced the bike myself before we left on the trip and didn't think to check the oil in the engine again until it popped. I'm putting it down to a tough learning curve. Always check your oil!!!

Now I want to repair the engine. I have read many internet stories of people having similar trouble with their KLR's and it would appear that the only solution that will resolve the problem completely is replacing the piston and rings with after-market parts.

An American company Schnitz Racing makes a 685 cc conversion kit for the KLR which comes with a forge piston and rings to match and I've read only good things. The Kit is pretty expensive though and I have had no reply to an email I sent to them.

I have also heard of Wiseco pistons. I can't find any information dealing specifically with the Wiseco piston being used in a KLR and attempts to contact the agents (a company called LEAD in Cape Town) have failed.

Has anyone got any constructive comments on how to go about this rebuild. Has anyone used a Wiseco piston in a KLR. I would appreciate any advice.