ABS vs No ABS on Dirt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendon

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi Guys

OK, before anyone jumps in and gives their "opinion", which I am sure there will be tons of, some mates and I have come up with a little exercise in putting various claims to the test. Part of the exercise is in fact to put some of the bikes through their paces, so that one of our resident journo's can get some material for an article.

Is it better to have the ABS active, or de-activate it for braking on dirt? Thats is what we would like to physically put to the test, but at the same time use the opportunity to learn how to stop our bikes effectively in the dirt, and provide training to those who would like it.

Details of the "event" can be found here: https://forum.thinkbike.co.za/showthread.php?48946-ABS-vs-No-ABS-on-Dirt-amp-TB-Social-5-February-2011&p=734070#post734070

So, why am I posting this here, you may ask... for a few reasons actually :)

1) Us "plebbs" and "off-road wanna-be's" would really appreciate it if some of you more experienced guys would be willing to impart some of your expertise with us, and provide some pointers for dirt riding - and join in for a little fun.
2) Ask some of you guys to join in on the "science" part of the exercise - we are looking for a broadish spectrum of DS bikes, with or without knobblies (so that "some" comparisons can be drawn. If your bike does not have ABS, there are still some "test" that you can take part in.

The event is scheduled for February 5, at Daytona Raceway (details of location is on the thread as posted above).
We will be meeting at 8 AM and have the "official" testing exercises, and thereafter, have an outride on location at Daytona at 11 AM.

Anyone interested to join in?  :thumleft:  :biggrin:

Tx.