American woman touring from Cape Town

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Hi,

I am an American woman and I will be traveling in South Africa on a Suzuki DR650.  I will start out on Dec 5th and I don't have any specific plans.  My only constraint is that I have to return the motorcycle on Dec 25th.  I did spend two weeks in ZA in March and I absolutely loved it,  Most of my recent riding has been in Europe and off road riding is limited.  I loved all of the gravel roads and passes in the Western Cape.  Since I was riding alone, I stuck to moderate terrain.  I did ride through Baviaanskloof when I was lucky enough to meet up with some other riders.  I would say that I am a moderately skilled rider.  I almost always ride alone and I have toured by myself on 5 five continents.  I usually ride a BMW F800GS and I have some off road riding experience.  However, I am usually a reserved rider.  Being alone does not bother me, but I am concerned only in the case that I get hurt or the bike breaks down.

I would like to ride to Lesotho (including Sani Pass) but I have been warned that I should not ride there alone.So a few questions:
1, Are there routes in Lesotho that would be safe to ride alone?
2. Does anyone else have a plan to ride in this area during the same time frame?
3. Is anyone interested in joining me on a tour?
4.  If I don't ride Lesotho, can anyone else make some recommendations about where to ride?

I will arrive in Cape Town on Sunday, Dec 4th.  I would appreciate any advice people have to offer. :ricky:

Thanks,
Frances