Another KLR tire question!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Brown

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
My stock tires have now had it and I need to replace them.

I would estimate that 80% of my riding is tar based with the odd weekend gravel road, way too much tar but that is it for the moment. I plan to increase the gravel travel a lot more as my confidence grows and I'm really looking forward to exploring the numerous gravel back roads in our area. I don't ride like a lunatic, I have a strong aversion to unnecessary pain and suffering, and generally only ride as fast as I can safely stop, 60 - 80 km/hr on reasonably good gravel. Maybe my speeds will increase once my confidence has grown, at the moment I'm quite enjoying the slow rides and taking in the scenery and I'm finding that I don't want to ride like a hooligan.

What would be a good general tire combo / brand setup for my type of riding. I'm a bit confused re the advice I received from different tire shops. I've been told that the Bridgestone TW 41 & 42 is a good general purpose tire ( 70 / 30 tar / gravel ) and then I get told that this is absolute rubbish and don't use it, deathwings etc etc etc . I had TW's on all 3 of my DL's and never had a problem, but then I didn't off road with the DL's. Other tires recommended so far are T63's, E07's and E09's......ideally I would like a tire setup that gives good grip on both tar and gravel, wet and dry and a reasonable mileage. I know, and accept, that there will have to be compromises, but what would be a reasonably good general purpose combo or setup for a beginner / slow rider who is planning to do more gravel travel and less tar riding? My dream ride is Cape Town to Knysna on gravel only and then Cape Town to Springbok and Upington, gravel only.

Everybody has told me that the stock tire is a piece of crap, yet I had no issues with it at all and have ridden in wet grass, mud, wet gravel, dry gravel, wet tar and dry tar, did the Canola Run, Occult Dale Road and Spes Bona Road, did the beginners course at Nelsons Creek in pissing rain, all with no problems at all...............maybe I just ride like an old fart.........or within my limits  :peepwall: :pot:

Only problem I have with the stock tire is mileage, or lack thereof...5000km's, is this normal for a DS tire, I was expecting +/- 8 - 10 000 km?

Any and all help or advice would be appreciated.