ATGATT saves the day. And tarmac is as hard as I expected.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MildDog

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR-Z 400
Yesterday I was riding to town (in cape town), along Eastern Boulevard (Nelson Mandela?). I hadn't been on the bike in 2 or 3 weeks. I was in Zim for 8 days visiting my Dad. Then I was in Jhb for a week training, so the bike was in the garage. I hopped on and rode to town (was trying to save time on parking and all). And I was going too fast. The front started wobbling. Then it REALLY wobbled. I stood up to try save it, and got thrown off. I fell to the right and slid down the road, in the fast lane on the highway. One car screeched and slid around me. My bike slid diagonally across the road and ended up against the left hand curb. I did not impact any other cars, or the curb, neither did my bike. I am so lucky. Spent five hours in hospital, getting xrays and lying down waiting.

Big thanks to Mr Crossed-Up who arrived to collect my bike. He pointed that it actually is still rideable. So very minimal damage there. I have:
1) fractured toe (felt it land first on the ground)
2) very bruised hips
1) very well used cordura jacket
1) pair of ripped jeans
2) grazed knees
1) well used Shoei hornet helmet

My gloves, jacket, neckbrace and helmet all have quite hectic gouge marks on them from sliding on the tar. The jacket really did what it was meant to!!!

I am super lucky. And super grateful. My kid has offered to put a mickey mouse plaster on me to fix my owey.

Turns out the front tire was FLAT. I knew it was soft (and anticipated some headshake), but that was just stupid of me.

Careful out there boys and girls. The tarmac is hard. And my ride went from fun to possibly life-ending in less than 2 seconds. It was terrifying.